Development Officer, Digital Giving - The British Columbia Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (BC SPCA)
As a Development Officer, Digital Giving at the BC SPCA you’ll be joining one of the most innovative and successful fundraising teams in Canada. The BC SPCA is funded by compassionate animal lovers who help us assist nearly forty-nine thousand abused, abandoned, injured and neglected animals every year. Your work will help make all of this possible. As a Development Officer, Digital Giving you will focus on day to day oversight of our successful Medical Emergency, Gift Catalogue and online store programs.
What’s it like working at the BC SPCA?
The fundraising team prides itself on having created a fun, supportive and positive work culture. We are results-driven and committed to excellence through professionalism, compassion, collaboration and innovation.
What we do:
We’re passionate about helping animals live safe, healthy and loved lives, and about helping their humans too. We’re the only animal welfare organization in B.C. that has the authority to enforce laws relating to animal cruelty. And, we’re one of North America’s most progressive animal welfare organizations with evidence-based standards of care. We’re knowledge leaders.
The role of Development Officer, Digital Giving
- As part of the Digital team you’ll be part of the strategy development and execution of programs that are a valued and significant source of revenue, new donors and generated leads for the BC SPCA.
- You’re responsible for day to day oversight of our successful Medical Emergency, Gift Catalogue and online store programs including:
- Using fundraising best practices, data analysis and regular testing to ensure success.
- Sourcing stories and writing persuasive copy
- Setting up micro-campaigns (graphics, HTML templates)
- Updating and basic maintenance of the campaign sites.
- Working with internal and external web developers on campaign updates
- Contribute to digital and email marketing for the campaigns.
- Customer service and stewardship
- You will also contribute to:
- Growing and implementing an integrated strategy with other (sometimes competing) digital campaigns.
- Strategy and development for end of year and emergency campaigns.
- Successfully meeting Key Performance Indicators (KPI) for the department.
- Supporting event day logistics for primarily digital campaigns.
- You’ll be collaborating with Operations, Cruelty Investigations and Communications on Medical Emergency animal stories.
- You are expected to utilize appropriate measures and metrics to evaluate the success of your program areas and provide regular reporting as required.
- You are supported and encouraged to develop and maintain relationships with industry peers and maintain a commitment to continued education, learning and innovation.
While every day is different, a day in this role might include:
- There’s a breaking news story about a cruelty case where you need to set up the animal’s Medical Emergency campaign, liaise with Communications and Digital Giving team around timing of media release, digital marketing etc.
- You follow up with branch staff to get update and photos on treatment and adoption of a previously featured animal.
- You’re reviewing google analytics and results to identify new testing priorities.
What type of person are you?
- Motivated and innovative problem-solver
- Empathetic and relation-centric (with donors, colleagues, animals etc.)
- Adaptable and open to change
What skills have you developed?
- University degree in relevant discipline plus 3-6 years’ experience in digital with some fundraising experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience acceptable to the employer.
- You have some knowledge and experience of digital best practices, trends and opportunities.
- You are a clear and persuasive communicator, both written and oral.
- You know when something is your responsibility and when you have to escalate something. If you don’t know, you’ll ask for help.
- When you see a problem or an opportunity to make something better you bring forward solutions.
- You’re great at information gathering: determining what you’ll need, sourcing it, analyzing, distilling and reporting back.
- You are comfortable using data: establishing data points, accurate record keeping, collecting data, analysis, using data to support initiatives, and to demonstrate success, need or areas of concern.
- Able to do basic HTML editing
- You know at least one CRM well and are open to learning others if necessary (we use Raiser’s Edge and Luminate Online).
- You have experience working with an e-commerce platform and are open to learning others if necessary (we use Shopify).
- You have experience with a graphic design program and are open to learning others if necessary (we use Adobe and Canva).
- You are proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and have a good sense of the tricks and processes to use for efficiency (and are eager to learn when you don’t!)
- You are able to thrive in an open concept and fast-paced work environment
- Full time salaried position.
- Three weeks’ vacation plus twelve sick days.
- Competitive extended health benefits after three months.
- Employer RRSP contributions of 7.5% (with no matching requirement) after twelve months.
- Eligible for professional development after twelve months
- Positive work-place culture of collaboration, innovation and respect.
- Ask us about our flexibility in our work hours!
- And yes, there are dogs in the office…every single day (and sometimes other animals too!
The BC SPCA compensation structure is based on external benchmarks and regularly reviewed. Starting placement on the range for this position will be commensurate with the successful candidate’s experience.
How to apply:
If you are up for the challenge, are looking for an opportunity to be involved in a great cause and are legally entitled to work in Canada we would love to hear from you. Help us make a difference. Click on the link to apply: http://www.spca.bc.ca/about/careers/
We welcome diversity, value differences, and foster inclusion in our employment practices. We invite applications from all qualified individuals who are philosophically aligned with our mission and guiding principles.
We thank you for your interest in the BC SPCA; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.