Development Manager - City of Vancouver
Job Title: Development Manager
Requisition ID: 31057
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Development Manager will work closely with the Senior Development Manager and Chief Executive Officer and play a critical role in delivering non-market rental housing on City-owned land for individuals and families on low to moderate incomes across Vancouver.
The Development Manager’s primary purpose is to manage the development of numerous affordable housing projects from site identification, permitting and construction through to building occupancy utilizing a non-profit delivery partner.
The position leads or supports site identification, site preparation activities, procurement of development partners, deal structuring and funding arrangements, negotiation of development agreements and ground leases, guiding partners through zoning and permitting processes, as well as review of complex financial/proforma and feasibility analysis for these projects. The position establishes and manages collaborative relationships with numerous City departments/staff, other government agencies and non-profit partners to effectively deliver the multi-million dollar development projects within the VAHA portfolio.
Key Contacts and Reporting Relationships
The Development Manager reports directly to the Senior Development Manager and manages numerous development projects. Contact with the City Leadership Team/ VAHEF Steering Committee, City Council as well as members of the not-for profit housing, development, construction, lending, real estate, appraisal and architectural communities is also required.
- Supports the identification, assessment and progression of land opportunities as directed by the Senior Development Manager to deliver affordable housing units across the city – both City and partner owned sites
- Scopes and develops project plans to deliver assigned projects and liaise with the City staff to develop the site specific specifications.
- Manages assigned projects through the development process including obtaining the needed permits and facilitating rezoning applications
- Manages the procurement of development partners by defining RFP requirements and evaluation of proposals ultimately leading to contract negotiation with preferred proponents
- Leads or supports in negotiating contracts, land, financing, construction and operations related to the project
- Establishes and/or manages all agreements with the City associated with VAHA projects including services agreements, development agreements and ground leases
- Reviews key project deliverables produced by delivery partners for quality assurance and adherence to project/contractual requirements
- Liaises with appropriate City staff and project partners as required to keep all parties informed of the progress of the work through all phases of the project
- Coordinates project workflow and collaborates with City departments and project partners to find solutions to key issues and expedite the delivery of VAHA projects
- Writes, presents reports and make recommendations to Council and other internal oversight committees
- Promotes the activities of VAHA and secures opportunities for new development, new funding resources or innovative delivery mechanisms
Minimum Qualification Requirements
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Urban Land Economics or related discipline and/or a Graduate degree in Business Administration is preferred,
- Minimum 8 years of professional and management experience in residential development or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Project Management training/certificate such as a PMP designation preferred, or equivalent experience
- Experience managing mixed discipline consultant teams, keeping projects on time and on budget and managing associated contracts
- Experience analyzing real estate development potential
- Experience in preparing and managing large capital budgets
- Experience in preparing requests for proposal and evaluating responses for large developments (preferably in an affordable housing context)
- Experience in the design and construction of residential buildings (preferably affordable housing) and with utilizing urban planning principles and urban site optimization
- Experience in negotiating and managing development and lease agreements
- Experience working within a public sector environment is an asset
- A Valid B.C. Driver License
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to analyze complex situations, determine appropriate courses of action and make recommendations to senior management
- Ability to reconcile differing perspectives, develop consensus, and secure cooperation and support with both partners and team members
- Ability to deal effectively with architects, engineers, contractors, partner landowners, housing operators, City Departments and the general public to establish cooperative working relationships
- Strong knowledge of affordable housing development and funding programs
- Knowledge of sustainable building design and construction practices
- Ability to review, analyze and effectively critique building plans, specifications and contract documents
- Ability to write clear, concise and complete reports
- Excellent interpersonal, communications, mediation, and conflict resolution skills
- Results-oriented with the ability to effectively manage multiple projects with tight timelines
- Knowledge of the Vancouver Building Bylaw as well as knowledge of the City of Vancouver Permit practices and Planning processes
- Ability to demonstrate high degree of independent judgment
- Thorough knowledge the Vancouver real estate market an asset
Business Unit/Department: Arts, Culture and Community Services (1200)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: August 2021
Application Close: June 28, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.