Development Communications Specialist - JDRF
JDRF is the largest non-profit organization in the world that is exclusively focused on type 1 diabetes (T1D). At JDRF, we realize that a cure is not just a destination but a journey. Our goal is to progressively remove the impact of type 1 diabetes (T1D) from people’s lives and funding research into cures is our #1 priority. While we wait for cures, we also fund ground-breaking research that seeks to improve the lives of people with T1D.
If you are looking to make a substantial impact in the lives of the more than 300,000 Canadians living with T1D, now is the time to join our team at JDRF.
We’re currently seeking a Development Communications Specialist to join our newly formed Leadership Giving Operations team. This team provides the tools, streamlined processes and support to our fundraising teams, allowing them to deepen relationships with constituents and generate maximum financial support for JDRF.
The Development Communications Specialist reports to the National Manager, Leadership Giving Operations and will be responsible for the planning, creation and writing of a broad range of development communications materials that support donor and prospect cultivation and solicitation.
In this position, you would have the opportunity to:
- Write major gift proposals that inspire donors by communicating the impact of research
- Keep all Campaign materials up-to-date including one-pagers and overviews
- Understand the JDRF brand and JDRF-funded research
- Work with the Chief Scientific Officer to compile content for proposals and stewardship reports
- Create and maintain a content library of current funding priorities
- Support the communications needs of the Development team and other duties related to writing as needed
- Coordinate layout and production of proposals in collaboration with the Marketing Department
Does this sound like the opportunity you’ve been waiting for? If you have the following qualifications, we’d love to hear from you!
- University or College degree in Marketing or Communications and 5-6 years of experience in a journalism setting or writing for a non-profit organization or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Fluency in French would be an asset
- Extensive professional writing experience that includes assignments in the health-care sector or related; advancement writing or non-profit experience
- Proficient writing for a range of audiences and communications channels, with emphasis on proposals, technical reports, briefing documents, presentations and speaking notes
- Strong interviewing and research skills with ability to synthesize comprehensive medical information into clear, concise communications
- Ability to be a compelling storyteller who is able to adjust style and tone to suit the target audience
- Excellent expository writing skills and a strong command of grammar, punctuation and syntax; Ability to compose and self-edit
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and manage multiple assignments in a fast-paced environment and produce high-quality work to meet project deadlines
- Persuasive and creative and able to communicate the impact of research and programs to donors and volunteers
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Accustomed to working collaboratively in a multi-stakeholder culture
- Proficient in MS Office, including Word, PowerPoint; working knowledge of InDesign
Preferred Location: Greater Toronto Area (office is located at 600-235 Yorkland Blvd, Toronto, ON); flexibility on location outside of the GTA but elsewhere in Canada may be provided. All JDRF staff are currently working from home until further notice (due to Covid-19 related health precautions).
Why choose JDRF?
At JDRF, we foster innovation and strive to think differently while working towards our mission in a collaborative, dynamic and positive work environment. Each day we live our core values of Respect, Understanding and Integrity; Perseverance; Collaboration; Risk Taking and Entrepreneurship; and Efficiency, Effectiveness and Accountability. We prioritize growing our talent from within and strive to provide development opportunities to our team. We also offer a competitive compensation package including (employer paid) group benefits, group RRSP matching program, paid annual vacation, professional development opportunities and flexible working arrangements.
Ready to apply? Please submit your application online. This position will remain posted until filled.
JDRF strives to foster a workplace that reflects the diversity of the community it serves and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates. JDRF is also committed to developing an inclusive, barrier-free selection process and work environment. Please advise if you require any accommodation measures to ensure you will be interviewed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to accommodation requests will be treated with confidentiality.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.