Day/School Support Worker - Griffin Centre
In April 2020 Adventure Place, The Etobicoke Children’s Centre, Griffin Centre and Skylark Children Youth & Families amalgamated to form Lumenus Community Services. The vision of Lumenus is to provide excellent, accessible and integrated mental health, developmental and community services where every client has the opportunity to be seen, be heard and to be well.
Lumenus Community Services is hiring a full-time Day/School Support Worker within our Day/School Support Services. DSSS staff work in a variety of settings and periodically staff are reassigned to different locations to maximize flexibility in meeting client needs and to provide staff with developmental opportunities. The position serves youth who have a developmental disability and present with a range of complex needs including dual diagnosis and autism spectrum disorder.
Lumenus Community Services is a dynamic and growing agency. We offer a competitive salary, attractive benefits package and pension plan, ongoing training and career development opportunities!
- In a primary worker role, provide and oversee treatment for youth in Section 23 classrooms;
- Ensure supportive, safe, and predictable environment through the establishment of routines, limits and daily living skills;
- Participate in the development and implementation of assessments, goals and treatment plans for assigned clients and liaise with families, in coordination with the Service Team, as required;
- Participate in treatment planning, Service Reviews / Plans of Care, program planning and evaluation meetings and ensure communication of all pertinent client and program relatedinformation and events to the Service Team;
- Coordinate services with other community programs where required, and work collaboratively with school administration, teachers and educational assistants in the classroom in the implementation of the academic program;
- Complete and maintain up-to-date client records and coordinate and maintain responsibility for program duties including transportation, medication administration, etc.
- Child and Youth Worker diploma, or equivalent education and experience;
- 3 or more years relevant working experience with youth who have a mild intellectual delay, developmental disability, or dual diagnosis in a school-based or residential setting;
- Experience in the development and implementation of treatment plans, preferably for individuals with complex mental health needs while being sensitive to ethno-racial and cultural needs with experience in addressing the youth’s academics, treatment focused groups, social/life and behavioural modification and/or management needs, implementation of sensory tools, knowledge of skills and techniques required to utilize ABA techniques, counselling experience, knowledge in substance abuse, trauma and anxiety, would be an asset;
- Ability to perform tasks involving physical activity, including lifting, bending and prolonged standing as well as the ability to be trained in CPI (Crisis Prevention Institute) techniques;
- Knowledge of strength based approaches, PBS, DBT, dual diagnosis, ASD, and the impact on the clients and their families;
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a multidisciplinary team;
- A self-starter who is able to work well with limited on-site supervision and possesses excellent time management and interpersonal skills, knowledge of the importance of relational practice;
- Able to work effectively and co-operatively to maintain a working relationship with school personnel, community agencies, families and other service providers;
- A valid Ontario driver’s licence is an asset, as is fluency in French or other second language.
TO APPLY: Interested applicants are invited to submit both their cover letter and resume in only PDF or Microsoft word format at resumeGC@lumenus.ca on or before August 5, 2020.
Please quote: Day/School Support Worker in the subject line. Please refrain from pasting the cover letter to the body of the email.
Lumenus is strongly committed to a workforce that reflects the diversity of the populations we serve. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals including applicants from all cultures, racialized communities, abilities, diverse sexual and gender identities and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas. We are committed to a selection process and work environment that is inclusive and barrier free.
Lumenus offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in our recruitment process. If you are contacted by Lumenus regarding a job opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation in the recruitment process.