Curbside Pickup & Delivery Volunteer - Dementia Society of Ottawa and Renfrew County
Time Commitment: 1 day per week for twelve weeks (plus attending general orientation and training as needed)
Supervisor: Education and Program Coordinator
Location: Central Ottawa/Ability to travel throughout Ottawa area
The Dementia Society of Ottawa and Renfrew County (DSORC) is dedicated to providing meaningful resources and support for people impacted by dementia in our communities.
Our new Remote and Online Programming initiatives allow clients to arrange a weekly curbside pickup of meaningful activities to enjoy safely from the comfort of their own home. Volunteers in this role will have the opportunity to participate in a meaningful way with DSORC and city-wide responses to the limitations brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic, in addition to joining our Remote and Online Programming team at the ground level which will allow us to further develop and improve our services.
We are currently seeking 1-2 reliable volunteers to provide support to the Education and Program Coordinator in fulfilling our weekly curbside pickup and drop-off dates, recording inventory of materials, and potentially serving as a secondary curbside pickup location. Although minimal client interaction is required for this role, volunteers would also be responsible for occasionally providing delivery services to clients’ homes in the event of special circumstances.
Primary Responsibilities and Tasks
The Curbside Pickup and Delivery volunteer will be responsible for the following:
- Communication with Education and Program Coordinator via phone and e-mail
- Develop an understanding of DSORC services offered via Remote and Online Programming initiatives
- Coordination of weekly pickup and drop-off dates and times with supervisor
- Provide weekly curbside pickup/drop-off services from your home (minimal client interaction)
- Maintain a small stock of program items and resources at your home
- Clean and disinfect all items in line with DSORC Cleaning Guidelines
- Leave items in a clearly marked location for pickup/drop-off (ex. your driveway)
- Record inventory of items and provide updates to a member of the DSORC staff
- Provide delivery/direct pick-up of items, resources, and materials in the event of special circumstances
- Most clients will be able to arrange for the set weekly curbside pickup time, but accommodations may be made to ensure accessibility of services
- Follow Cleaning Guidelines and inventory processes for delivered/returned items
Qualifications and Skills:
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle
- Professionalism and a positive disposition with excellent interpersonal skills
- Compassion, understanding and awareness of dementia
- Maintain confidentiality of all participants
- Reliability and punctuality
- Bilingualism in English and French is an asset
- Basic knowledge of DSORC programs and services (training provided)
Successful applicants will submit a volunteer application form. An interview and reference checks will be conducted as part of the application process with the Volunteer Coordinator. A valid Vulnerable Sector Check with the Ottawa Police Service is required for this position.
Successful applicants will be provided with Orientation Training in addition to role-specific training from their supervisor. Volunteers will be required to agree to DSORC Safety Policies for Volunteering during COVID-19 in advance to beginning work in this role.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit their CV and a cover letter describing their interest to email@example.com.