Crisis Line & Support Group Volunteer - WAVAW Rape Crisis Centre
Volunteers answer calls on our 24-hour Crisis Line (after hours, weekends, and holidays) to provide immediate emotional support, safety planning, self-care practices, information, and resources for survivors of sexualized violence. Volunteers may also assist WAVAW’s counselling team in facilitating support groups. Successful completion of WAVAW’s 11-week Volunteer Training and a one-year commitment is required.
Our 11-week Volunteer Training is offered twice a year beginning in September and January. This is a unique opportunity for folks of marginalized genders interested in acquiring extensive training in supporting survivors within a feminist, anti-oppressive, and decolonizing framework. WAVAW's volunteer training is offered free-of-charge!
Volunteers need to:
- Be 19+ years of age
- Be women, trans, Two-Spirit, non-binary, and/or genderqueer
- Provide two references before the start of the Volunteer Training
- Attend and successfully complete the 11-Week Volunteer Training on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5:45-10:00pm
- Commit for minimum of one-year and approximately 8 hours/week
- Submit a Criminal Record Check
- Attend Monthly Meetings on the first Wednesday of every month from 5:30-8:00pm after completing the training
If you have accessed WAVAW's services in the past, please note that you must wait 3 years before you can apply for a volunteer position.
No previous experience or education required.
All interviews and training will be held virtually via Zoom. Following training, all volunteering opportunities and meetings will take place remotely until further notice.
Next Training: September 8, 2020
Application Deadline: August 10, 2020
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.