Crisis/Intake Counsellor - Western Ottawa Community Resource Centre
Job Title: Crisis/Intake Counsellor
Status: Part-time - 28 hours/week
Application Deadline: Open
Under the supervision of the Counselling Services Team Manager, the Crisis/Intake Counsellor provides crisis and brief intervention services, information, assessment and referral to clients of the WOCRC.
PRINCIPAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
Provide Direct Service
- Provide initial contact to all new clients of the WOCRC, establish rapport, assist in identifying needs and provide information about services;
- Provide crisis intervention services through telephone contacts and on a walk-in basis;
- Provide brief intervention counselling;
- Provide short term counselling using evidence-based techniques.
- Connect clients with appropriate internal and community resources;
- Assist clients in accessing desired services. May include facilitating concrete services such as child care, transportation, etc;
- Assess level of risk and provide follow-up as required;
- Facilitate education and support groups as required.
Advocate on behalf of clients
- Participate in advocacy and coordination committees about services available, gaps in services, and issues affecting individuals, couples and families;
- Promote participation of clients and community in general, in activities designed to educate and/or advocate for prevention.
Participate in community education concerning social issues and services
- Act as a consultant to colleagues, agencies and the community regarding crisis services in the Ottawa area;
- Respond to community requests for information;
- Present to community groups;
- Participate as a staff member in public relations and fundraising events, as requested.
Ensure coordination of policy and service
- Participate as a direct intervention team member at internal and external meetings;
- Advocate for coordinated planning of services;
- Establish and maintain links with community groups and agencies to facilitate referrals and positive working relationships;
- Coordinate inter-agency referrals.
Serve as a staff resource for training and development
- Offer in-service training to colleagues;
- Provide training to community groups;
- Provide support and training to students as required;
- Provide support and training to volunteers as required.
Ensure evaluation of service
- Participate in WOCRC evaluation processes;
- Prepare and maintain all necessary documentation and statistics related to crisis intake activities on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
All WOCRC employees have some fundamental responsibilities that go beyond the confines of their occupations. These include:
- Ensuring that the commitment to diversity is understood and respected.
- Working in a manner that incorporates health promotion and recognizes the determinants of health
- Maintaining up-to-date professional skills and knowledge through formal and informal training;
- Acting as an “ambassador” for WOCRC within and outside the Centre by creating an awareness of WOCRC programs and promoting services offered;
- Compliance with all mandated legal/regulatory requirements related to working at WOCRC ( Employment Standards Act, Occupational Health and Safety, standards of professional conduct);
- Maintaining awareness of and compliance with WOCRC policies and procedures;
- Maintaining awareness of and compliance with funder requirements, policies,
- procedures and regulations;
- Working in a manner that preserves confidentiality and seeks to minimize risk in keeping with Privacy and Confidentiality Policies and Procedures.
- Supporting the Centre’s student and volunteer placement programs.
- Working during both regular and extended hours of operation in locations identified by the Centre.
Perform other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor of Social Work or equivalent in education and training;
- Two-year pertinent experience in direct service, crisis intervention and brief therapy.
- Obtain and maintain membership in CRPO or the college of Social Workers.
- Demonstrated commitment to and knowledge of community-based model of intervention and health equity principles;
- Knowledge of the Child and Family Services Act;
- Knowledge of the Mental Health Act;
- Knowledge of social services delivery in Ottawa;
- Excellent assessment skills;
- Strong organizational and communication skills;
- Strong public speaking and popular education skills;
- Multitasking abilities;
- Demonstrated commitment to an anti-racist/anti-oppression principles;
- Ability to work well in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate fluently in English, spoken and written;
- Ability to communicate fluently in French, spoken and written, an asset.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office suite of products
- Familiarity with Data Management Systems
- Clinical note taking and documentation
- Starting Salary is $40,436 per annum;
- 28 hours per week
Please apply online via this career centre. This position is open until filled.
Submit any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. Note that applications submitted via email will not be considered.
Address cover letters to:
Western Ottawa Community Resource Centre
2 MacNeil Court
Kanata, ON K2L 4H7
WOCRC has an accommodation process in place that provides accommodations for employees with disabilities. If you require a specific accommodation because of a disability or a medical need, please do not hesitate to let us know how we can best accommodate you.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are based on business and job requirements. All qualified applicants will receive considerations for employment based on individual qualifications, without regard to age, ancestry, colour, race, citizenship, ethnic origin, place of origin, creed, disability, family status (including single status), gender identity, gender expression, record of offences (in employment only), sex (including pregnancy and breastfeeding), sexual orientation or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in Ontario.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this employment opportunity. Please note however that, due to the volume of résumés received, only those applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted.