Counsellor - Reflect and Connect - Sexual Assault Centre Kingston Inc.
*One year maternity leave contract, F/T or P/T position*
About Our Centre
The Sexual Assault Centre Kingston is a feminist, not-for-profit organization providing free, confidential, non-judgmental support for survivors of sexual violence in Kingston, Frontenac, Lennox & Addington. We provide support to survivors of all genders, ages 12 and up, who have experienced recent and/or historic sexual violence.
Working as a counsellor within our Reflect and Connect program, you will provide individual psychotherapy and group counselling to survivors of sexual and gender-based violence. In addition, you will provide supervision to students completing their placements with our agency.
Reporting to the Director of Counselling Services, in this role you will:
- Provide individual counselling and advocacy to survivors of all genders, ages 12 and up, according to SAC Kingston's counselling guidelines
- Book approximately 18-20 sessions per week for counselling survivors of sexual violence within the Centre’s Reflect and Connect counselling program, and provide counselling within the Centre’s Skills and Support program, as the need is identified
- Provide supervision to placement students, and possibly other staff, as the need is identified
- Facilitate or co-facilitating group counselling or educational workshops when the need is identified
- Maintain complete, accurate, clinically useful client records and counselling statistics in accordance with SAC Kingston policies through our electronic client records database
- Collaborate with community partners and provide referrals for survivors who require services beyond the scope and mandate of the counselling program
- Participate in staff and counselling team meetings on a weekly basis, as well as attending training and professional development opportunities, as directed
- Actively participate in monthly clinical supervision with the Director of Counselling Services
- Maintain up to date knowledge on current intersectional feminist practices and trends in relation to supporting survivors of sexual and gender-based violence
- Share information with community partners and other organizations when requested and appropriate
- Maintain an ongoing commitment to intersectional, Anti-Racist/Anti-Oppressive practices within the workplace, and regularly contributes to centre objectives through an AR/AO lens
- In collaboration with the Community Outreach Coordinator and Director of Counselling, contribute to updating best practices, administering client satisfaction surveys, and overall development of the counseling program
- Attend regular staff meetings and trainings, as assigned
- Contribute to SACK’s culture by engaging in internal activities, sharing feedback, and bringing a problem-solving perspective
- Perform other tasks as required by the Director of Counselling Services and/or the Executive Director
We are looking for someone who has:
- Master's degree in Social Work, Counselling, Psychology, Occupational Therapy, or Nursing; must be a current member, in good standing, within a Regulated Health Profession that can practice the controlled act of Psychotherapy.
- Minimum 2 years experience providing counselling, advocacy, and mental health services
- In depth knowledge of intersectional feminist, trauma-informed practices and of the unique struggles experienced by survivors of sexual violence.
- Demonstrated experience in advancing organizational goals of equity, inclusion, anti-racism and anti-oppression.
- Demonstrated respect for individual, cultural, community and organizational diversity, including the ability to identify and understand intersecting issues related to gender, age, sexual orientation, (dis)ability, race, ethnicity, socioeconomic location, religion, and gender identity.
- Proven discretion in dealing with confidential and sensitive matters and the ability to respond with sound judgement to crisis situations, seeking consultation as appropriate
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Sufficient computer skills, with a working knowledge of Microsoft Office, GoogleSuite and electronic client records database.
- Valid CPIC, with working with Vulnerable Sectors
We would love it if you had:
- The ability to practice independently and provide clinical supervision to qualifying RP’s, according to the regulatory requirements of your college
- Access to a vehicle, and a valid driver's license
- Group facilitation skills and experience
- Working knowledge (speaking, writing) of a language other than English
- Availability for evening work, as required to meet the needs of centre clients
Full-Time or Part-Time contract (maternity leave), starting immediately until May 1st, 2022. Salary Band: $26 - $32 on an hourly basis, based on qualifications and experience.
At SACK we offer a competitive health benefits package to all full-time staff. The prospective candidates will be enrolled in the benefits plan upon successful completion of their probationary period.
In order to protect the health and mental health of our staff, we also offer a generous sick/mental health day policy that all employees will be entitled to from their first day in our centre.
We recognize that BIPOC and other equity deserving community members are disproportionately affected by sexual violence. At SACK, we have promised to do better in representing our community and to take meaningful steps toward eliminating systematic racism and oppression. In line with this commitment, we strongly encourage applicants who self-identify as belonging to BIPOC, newcomer, gender diverse, and other equity deserving groups to apply.
Interested applicants should submit a resume (Max 3 pages) and cover letter (max 1 page) in a PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org and cc email@example.com with the subject line “Counsellor – Reflect and Connect”. The deadline for submitting a full application is May 14th at 12:00 pm. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. We thank all applicants for their interest, however; only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
SACK is committed to providing accommodation upon request at all stages of the hiring process. If you require accommodation during the hiring process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.