Coordinator - Volunteers and Community Support Services - Japanese Social Services
Japanese Social Services (JSS) is a non-profit, charitable organization dedicated to supporting the Japanese-Canadian and Japanese speaking communities across the Greater Toronto Area and beyond, providing counselling and various support programs. We assist and empower individuals in fulfilling needs and leading lives that are meaningful to them.
Employment type: Limited-term contract of three months, with possible extension
Hours of work: full-time (35 hours per week)
Regular hours: 10am – 6pm, with occasional evening hours
Start date: October 11, 2021
Reports to: JSS President
To coordinate JSS programs and promotion to the community, as well as volunteer recruitment, training and support.
Duties and responsibilities
1. Program Coordination
- Organize, co-ordinate, and take a leadership role in all JSS programs.
- Develop, deliver and facilitate programs and workshops that promote inclusion, participation and creativity to the targeted population for building a healthy community.
- Provide home visit, assessment, and matching with the potential volunteers and on-going assessment to a seniors outreach program users.
- Refer individuals to Counsellor internally for one-on-one counselling where it is applicable.
- Make referrals to and liaise with the appropriate community services to promote healthy activities and positive change in wellbeing for program users as appropriate
- Compile, maintain, prepare and report statistical information regarding programs and services as required.
- Participate in organizational meetings and provide program reports as required.
2. COVID-19 hotline
- Answer phone calls from Japanese / Japanese Canadian community members and provide relevant information and brief resource counselling in order to promote psychosocial wellbeing under the COVID-19 pandemic. .
3. Volunteer Coordination
- Advertise the programs and volunteer recruitment to appropriate mediums as required.
- Coordinate training and supervision for all volunteers in regards to JSS community outreach, local service programs and office administration support
- Provide general volunteer orientation sessions and interviews to prospective volunteers
- Communicate effectively with volunteers regarding assignments including the roles and tasks
- Provide support, effective conflict resolution, and mediation to the volunteers when issues and conflict arise. Follow an appropriate complaint process where it is necessary.
- Organize and implement the formal recognition of volunteers.
- Maintain the database of volunteers and make it available for staff and the board.
4. General duties
- Provide support and information to team members and participates in case consultations
- Participate in clinical supervisory/advisory meetings
- Participate in the fundraising activities as needed
- Perform any other duties as required by the Board of Directors
- University degree or college diploma in Social Work or related field (i.e. Social Work, Community Service Worker, Social Service Worker, etc.)
- Minimum one-year professional experience coordinating volunteers in the non-profit sector preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work with community agencies, stakeholders and the public
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse individuals and group and those with disabilities; ability to deliver culturally competent services and programing
- Knowledge of Japanese ethno-cultural group
- Experience inworking with incorporating principles of anti-oppression
- Understanding of the equity in responding to the service needs of clients
- Ability to work in Japanese and English
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and advanced group facilitation skills; experience in community outreach/networking skills
- Ability to provide support information and referrals to community sources
- Ability to work effectively in a team and with a Board of Directors
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Demonstrated excellent conflict resolution skills in diverse individuals and groups
- Demonstrated organization skills and the ability to effectively multi-task and triage
- Proficiency in report writing and data collection.
- Strong computer proficiency in Windows based software (Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Diverse license and access to a vehicle an asset
How to apply:
Please submit your resume and cover letter as a single PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 30, 2021. Please ensure your name is included in the file name.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.