Coordinator, Communications - Canadian Institute of Planners
The Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP) is looking for a creative dynamo who will bring their energy, expertise, creativity, enthusiasm, and willingness to learn new things, to a role where they will be supporting CIP’s communications and marketing activities, including external and member communications (social media, website management, and member engagement/outreach).
Reporting to CIP’s Manager, Communications, and working in a fast-paced, collaborative environment, this individual has design, website, and current social media experience/knowledge, as well as excellent writing and editorial skills. They also possess effective organizational skills to coordinate multiple and competing projects and initiatives.
Located in downtown Ottawa, CIP is a member-based organization that works on behalf of over 7,500 planning professionals and students across Canada. Our members work on many important issues, from planning new communities and public spaces, to expanding public transit and bike paths (and much more!). As such, our organization is involved in conversations on how to support aspiring planners on their journey to become registered, as well as policy issues related to climate change, healthy communities, and what it means to support Truth and Reconciliation in our communities.
While all employees are currently working remotely from home, there is an expectation of an eventual return to the office for CIP staff who live in Ottawa. However, due to the nature of this position, while applicants must reside in Canada, they are not required to live in the Ottawa region, where the CIP office is located. Should the successful applicant live in the region, they will have the option of working in the CIP office once it reopens. If working 100% remotely outside of Ottawa, the successful candidate must have a functional, personal working space.
Compensation for this 12-month contract position (with possibility of extension) is $45,000-50,000/year, plus the following enhancements:
- Generous paid annual leave (18 days/year) and paid personal leave (up to 12 days/year)
- Employee assistance plan
- Professional development opportunities
CIP also offers a healthy and positive work environment, with a team that strongly believes diversity and inclusion are key to a respectful workplace.
CIP is looking to fill this position as soon as possible and will assess applications as they are received. If you are interested in working collaboratively with the CIP team and building your experience in the not-for-profit sector, we’d love to hear from you. Applicants are asked to submit a single PDF document to email@example.com which includes:
- A cover letter addressing the duties, skills and abilities, and hard qualifications for the position, explaining why you are well suited to the position
- A detailed C.V., including a summary of relevant knowledge and workplace experience
We thank all who apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
CIP is strongly committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. CIP welcomes applications from those who will contribute to the diversity of our community. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
The CIP office is located on traditional, unceded territory of the Algonquin Anishnaabeg people. CIP extends sincere appreciation for the opportunity to work and learn on this territory in mutual respect and gratitude.
Communications and Marketing
- Works collaboratively with the Manager, Communications to create and distribute high-quality communications materials (mostly digital and some print) in both official languages, including social media posts, press and media releases, website content, newsletters, promotional materials, e-blasts, and annual reports
- Provides graphic design services for various assets, such as, but not limited to, websites, social media, newsletters, certificates and awards, and marketing materials
- Assists with the production of the Monthly Plan-It, CIP’s e-newsletter for members, as well as other e-blasts
- Develops engaging social media plans and content (graphics, text and video) to increase CIP’s online presence and engagement
- Monitors and updates CIP’s social media accounts
- Maintains and updates CIP’s website and the CIP/ICU Planning Student Trust Fund website
- Supports the redesign of the CIP website
- Provides core administrative communication services (e.g. managing translation requests, documenting procedures, managing artwork/brand/project files, disseminating communications and materials, overseeing collateral inventory tracking, etc.)
- Conducts research in support of communications activities/initiatives, as needed
- Stays aware of new and best practices in communications, to develop and propose new ideas to the Manager, Communications
- Ensures all communication components align with the Institute's mission, vision, values, enhancing public image, and adhering to branding standards
Events and Awards
- Provides communications-related support for events, most notably CIP’s next national planning conference (July 2022). Duties may include the design, production, and delivery of such items as the conference website and app, sponsor recognition, signage, collateral materials, presentations, awards/certificates, speaker notes, etc.
- Works collaboratively with the Manager, Communications to create and implement communication plans for various CIP activities (e.g. awards program, etc.)
- Degree or Diploma in Communications, Web Development, Multimedia, Public Relations, or Journalism – or equivalent experience
- Excellent knowledge of communications policies, procedures, and practices
- Strong writing and editing skills (with a focus on quality, speed, and accuracy)
- Strong design sense, with proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite and Canva is an asset
- Experience monitoring and updating websites using a variety of CMS platforms, including Wix, and WordPress, knowledge of Kentico would also be an asset
- Experience using social media platforms including Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn
- Ability to communicate messages in a professional and engaging manner
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to problem-solve, multi-task, meet tight deadlines, and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to provide a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Familiarity with Meltwater, Constant Contact, Hootsuite, Google Analytics, and Basecamp, an asset
- Creative, open, and collaborative approach to implementing projects, as well as the ability to work independently
- Bilingualism in both official languages (oral and written skills) is an asset