Convention Assistant - Prospectors & Developers Association of Canada (PDAC)
Length of term: Monday, November 4, 2019 – Thursday, April 30, 2020 (6 months), with the possibility of extension
PDAC 2020: The World’s Premier Mineral Exploration & Mining Convention is a four-day annual Convention held at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre (MTCC). It has grown in size, stature and influence since it began in 1932 and today is the event of choice for the world’s mineral industry. In addition to meeting over 1100 exhibitors and 25,000 attendees from 132 countries, it allows attendees the opportunity to attend technical sessions, short courses as well as social and networking events.
PDAC is looking for a full-time contract Convention Assistant to aid with the Convention and Exhibition. This position is task-driven, requiring the ability to take on multiple responsibilities and apply initiative to ensure follow-through on projects. The Convention Assistant will also bring administrative strength to the team.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Administrative assistance to the Convention Team (including booking meetings, writing emails, pulling lists from a database, updating documents, etc.)
- Coordinate the rental of meeting space (Presentation & Reception Rooms)
- Accept & process application forms & payments, assign meeting space, provide instructions to renters, gather/collate marketing descriptions, coordinate onsite
- Develop/coordinate the production of print and digital signage
- Gather/collate information required for signage from various sources, determine sign sizes & quantities, work with graphic designer and MTCC contact, distribute proofs to staff, collate edits
- Answer convention related questions received via telephone
- Respond to general convention email inquiries
- Registration data entry (limited)
- Pre and post-convention – packing/unpacking boxes, shipping follow-up materials, etc.
- Other tasks as required
Qualifications and experience
- Previous experience in event planning (required), 2-3 years
- Previous experience in an Association environment and/or previous work experience as an Assistant/Receptionist (preferred)
- An ideal candidate for this position would have a post-secondary diploma and the event related experience noted above
- Exceptional administrative and organizational skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including writing and proof reading and the ability to communicate with tact and diplomacy - excellent “people skills”
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced, time-sensitive environment
- Ability to learn quickly, focus on the details and follow explicit direction
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as a team player
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office (primarily Microsoft Word, Excel & Outlook)
- Working experience with web content management systems and/or HTML an asset
- Flexibility and willingness to work on occasional evenings and weekends if required and agreed, must be available to work long hours through onsite dates (February 28-March 4, 2020)
Application deadline: Friday, September 27, 2019. Please email a cover letter and resume to Nicole Sampson at email@example.com No phone calls please. Interviews will be conducted as suitable candidates are identified. PDAC would like to thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.