Content Writer - R&E Ocean Community Conservation
Location: Canada/Colombia (remote position)
Type: Volunteer (Initially a volunteer position, with the possibility to expand to a part-time position once additional funding is obtained).
Working hours are flexible but individual must have some availability between 8 am to 6 pm EDT.
Start Date: As soon as possible
About R&E Ocean Community Conservation
The R&E Ocean Community Conservation is a Canadian registered foundation which provides research and education in responsible conservation efforts across the globe supporting governments, NGO’s and communities in the sustainable development of their costal resources. R&E is led by a small but highly effective team of passionate and dedicated individuals who are driven by achieving lasting conservation impacts in areas of the world where it is needed the most.
In partnership with World Cetacean Alliance (WCA), Friends of the Sea (FOS), Institute of Marine Engineering, Science & Technology (IMarEST), amongst others R&E is coordinating a number of projects which aims to promote regulated responsible whale watching, anthropogenic impacts assessment of cetaceans and turtles, sustainable seafood and environmental education to communities and tourism. Through R&E we protect and preserve vulnerable species and their ecosystems as well as support, inspire and empower governments, businesses, communities and individuals providing sustainable socio-economic development, with the goal being that we can go around the world conserving and sustainably developing responsible whale watching and other coastal activities. This area of work will involve scientific research, social work and capacity building programs for local community members and tourists.
We are looking for an enthusiastic Content Writer to join our team and enrich our websites and other platforms with new blog posts and promotional content.
Content Writer responsibilities include conducting thorough research on industry-related topics, generating ideas for new content types and proofreading articles before publication. If you are familiar with producing online content and have an eye for detail, we woud like to meet you. Feel free to share samples of your work or portfolio of your published articles, along with your application.
Ultimately, you will deliver quality writing pieces that appeal to our audiences, attract followers and boost exposure.
· Research industry-related topics (combining online sources, interviews and studies)
· Write clear marketing copy to promote our projects and initiatives
· Prepare well-structured drafts using Content Management Systems
· Proofread and edit blog posts and other written material before publication
· Submit work to board members for input and approval
· Coordinate with marketing and design teams to illustrate articles
· Conduct simple keyword research and use SEO guidelines to increase web traffic
· Promote content on social media
· Identify followers’ needs and gaps in our content and recommend new topics
· Ensure all-around consistency (style, fonts, images, and tone)
· Update website content as needed
· Proven work experience as a Content Writer, Copywriter or similar role
· Portfolio of published articles
· Experience doing research using multiple sources
· Familiarity with web publications
· Excellent writing and editing skills in English (Spanish is an asset but not required)
· Hands-on experience with Content Management Systems (e.g. WordPress) or Squarespace
· Ability to meet deadlines
· Bachelor’s in marketing, English, Journalism or related field is an asset
· Strong interest for environment/marine conservation and community engagement
Please email a CV and cover letter summarizing your relevant experience, future aspirations in the marine conservation sector and outlining what you hope to achieve with R&E Ocean Community Conservation Foundation.
Include any links to relevant work you have been involved with. We will then get back to you after the team has reviewed your application and let you know if we would like to pursue your application.