Compliance and Operations Officer - The SecDev Foundation
The SecDev Foundation is seeking a Compliance and Operations Officer to join our rapidly growing international organization dedicated to improving the digital opportunity, safety and citizenship of users at risk around the world.
As Compliance and Operations Officer you will sit at the heart of the Foundation’s operations, responsible for supporting all aspects of organizational administrative excellence and compliance for our growing portfolio of global projects and programmes.
Under the guidance of the Chief Operating Officer, you will be the Foundation’s “go-to” expert on all aspects of administrative compliance and operations. You will work closely with our Programme Managers to guide and support them on all aspects of Foundation administrative and compliance policies and processes, while exercising front-line oversight to ensure consistency in compliance excellence. You will assume primary responsibility for overseeing and managing the Foundation’s administrative information management framework (online shared drives; protocols for consistent and safe filing, storage and sharing of documents).
You will also support the Foundation’s organizational administrative excellence, providing administrative support to our staff, working with colleagues to answer HR and admin inquiries, supporting travel and event coordination, implementing an information management system, and ensuring the details for each function are in place. The role will provide a variety of direct administrative support to the Foundation’s Management Team (primary to the Executive Director, but also to the Chief Operating Officer and Financial Controller), supporting the ED with Board of Directors meetings, administrative and logistics management, and coordinating the onboarding of new board members.
To thrive in this job, you will have a detailed and meticulous approach to all things organizational, but will also be able to support and inspire this discipline in others. You will take strong pride in ensuring administrative and compliance excellence because you understand that this is core to an organization’s effective functioning. You will be a consummate multi-tasker who knows how to prioritize deadlines and how to manage multiple demands from multiple programme teams. And this means that you are also an effective communicator and people-person. You know how to walk the line between ensuring that procedures are followed, while supportively mentoring those that need more help. You will be energized by working across a variety of functions; you will learn quickly and be proactive and eager to take on new challenges. You will understand that -- as the central hub of a small but growing organization -- your portfolio of duties will also be subject to change, growth and adaptation. You will always be looking for ways to use your creativity, insight and experience to simplify and improve the Foundation’s day to day programme operations, policies and procedures. You will welcome our yearly compliance audits as an opportunity to demonstrate your vital contributions to the excellence of the Foundation’s achievements globally.
Our ideal candidate will have direct experience working on the administrative/operations and compliance side of a small to medium sized NGO with a global portfolio of programming. S/he will be digitally-savvy, able to administer and maintain the organization’s online work environment and functioning; perhaps s/he will help take us to the next level of digitally-enhanced operations! S/he will also have a strong commitment to the SecDev Foundation’s mission to enhance the digital well-being of communities and at-risk populations around the world, and will be keen to learn more of our work with civil society organizations, women, youth, and vulnerable groups.
Is this right for you? Here’s what we are looking for:
- Strong experience with organizational administration, administrative grant management and/or compliance management in the non-profit/non-governmental sector; ideally in an international organization where you developed a clear understanding of the complexities and realities of donor funded programs
- Solid understanding and experience with, policies, practices and compliance requirements of a range of donor and regulatory bodies, in particular the US Government and Global Affairs Canada;
- Proven experience forging strong relationships with program teams at HQ and (ideally) in the field; and, willing to be accommodating and flexible in support of colleagues in the field (yes, sometimes that means a 7AM or 8PM call).;
- Proven facility for working with senior staff to ensure adherence to organizational policies and procedures, and helping them to understand why this is important;
- Ability to work collaboratively across departments to support efficient, effective and proactive compliance support; you can cite examples of how you have effectively juggled competing priorities
- Strong and proactive problem-solving skills, able to identify challenges or bottlenecks and proactively propose potential solutions to improve how the organization functions;
- Demonstrated experience working with and protecting confidential data;
- Strong experience organizing and maintaining compliance with online shared workspaces and filing systems; you are comfortable working with a variety of technical and IT tools, including Google Docs and online submission systems; you are eager to learn new tools, perhaps even seek them out;
- Some experience with providing support for human resource management;
- Excellence in English written and oral communication skills, and experience in taking the lead on communications with external administrative contacts.
What would make you extraordinary?
- You have technical training and/or a strong proficiency in digital security and cyber security;
- You have hands on program experience gained in a field location;
- You have experience with providing administrative support to technical and financial organizational or programmatic audits;
- You are fluent in a second language, especially those used in Foundation areas of operation;
- You love paperwork as much as you love working with people.
What we offer:
A rewarding opportunity with a competitive compensation package, strong emphasis on work-life balance, innovation and technology, ample learning and development opportunities, and the knowledge that you are working to make the world a better place:
- The opportunity to meaningfully contribute to an innovative, future-oriented organization working at the cross-roads of technology, security, development, and the growing influence of cyberspace;
- A competitive salary;
- Comprehensive Group Health Benefits and Insurance;
- Group Retirement Pension Plan benefits
- Work-life balance: summer work hours and generous leave entitlements;
- Learning and professional development opportunities through hands-on experience, peer coaching, as well as a professional development budget;
- International travel opportunities;
- A centrally located office;
- Being part of a culture that is constantly looking for how to improve -- both our excellence in operations and in our programming, meaning the assistance we deliver to people and communities around the world. All staff are encouraged to understand “what we do” and contribute new ideas for how we can improve or expand our assistance globally.
How to Apply
If you are someone who thrives on challenge, loves a varied role, and wants to be part of an innovative and growing organization, then this opportunity is for you. Please submit your cover letter and CV through the “Apply for this Job” button by May 21st.
About the SecDev Foundation
The SecDev Foundation is a rapidly growing not-for-profit think-do tank based in Ottawa, Canada. We work globally at the cross-roads of security, development and the game-changing influence of cyberspace.
Our mission is to support digital well-being for all, with a special focus on civil society organizations, women, youth, and vulnerable groups. We help communities pursue digital opportunity, while understanding how to better control the technologies they so readily use. We help societies navigate the emerging opportunities of the global digital economy, which is founded on sound policies and savvy digital citizens. And, in countries affected by conflict and war, we help local communities and societies pursue new forms of resilience in the digital sphere. We prioritize local partnerships to ensure programming is responsive, inclusive and yields lasting capacities.
We have current operational programming in the Middle East, North Africa, Southeast Asia, Latin America and Eurasia. Our work has been supported by the International Development Research Centre (IDRC), The Embassy of the Netherlands, Freedom House, The Open Societies Foundation, the Global Peace and Security Fund (GAC), The Stability Network, Public Safety Canada, the Bureau of Democracy, Rights and Labour, and Google.