Community Support Worker - LS - LOFT Community Services
LOFT Community Services is a unique and dynamic charitable organization that supports people living with complicated issues such as mental and physical health challenges, substance abuse, poverty and homelessness. Serving over 5300 people and providing 1654 units of supportive housing last year, LOFT is one of Ontario’s largest mental health service providers of its kind. In 2018 LOFT was a Nonprofit Employer of Choice™ Award (NEOC) recipient.
To help fulfill its mission, LOFT is hiring a Community Support Worker.
The community support worker provides a range of services that supports transgender and/or gender expansive individuals who have a history of homelessness and/or concurrent disorders. The goal is to increase their independence through skill enhancement and development, by building a support network and linking consumers to available community services. The community support worker also provides needs assessment, coaching, skills teaching, advocacy, crisis management, facilitating site meetings and/or psycho-educational groups and support to consumers in daily living. This position liaises with other community agencies and professional services and requires some evening work.
Note: Will be required to work with consumers in their homes and may therefore be exposed to second hand smoke.
- Completion of a degree/diploma in Social Work/Human Services or equivalent,
- Minimum of three years related experience in providing support to vulnerable adults with special needs including serious mental health issues, addictions, and developmental disabilities;
- Previous experience in supportive housing is an asset;
- Ability to assist residents with daily living activities, promoting the acquisition of life skills;
- Ability to develop and implement service plans with regular consultation with both clients and supervisor;
- Understanding of psychosocial rehabilitation and recovery principles, harm reduction, motivational interviewing, assessment skills and ability to apply these concepts into practice;
- Knowledge of issues experienced by transgender or gender expansive adults;
- Good oral and written communication skills;
- Strong trauma informed skills to respond and engage clients in highly personal areas;
- Ability to work effectively within a team environment and to interact with workers from a variety of agencies, and to engage in advocacy;
- Experience in facilitating groups;
- Crisis intervention skills, with well-developed problem solving abilities;
- Strong computer skills to input notes and documents into an electronic database;
- Will be required to assist in cleaning units with individuals or in preparing units for occupancy as per move-in processes;
- Ability to travel between program sites where necessary; access to a vehicle is an asset
TO APPLY: Send resume with cover letter to Human Resources,
LOFT Community Services is committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment and dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live and serve. LOFT is committed to making employment opportunities accessible in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005. Upon request, accommodation will be provided in all parts of the application and hiring process.
Contact email@example.com or (416) 979-1994 to discuss your accommodation requirements.
PLEASE INCLUDE: “CSW - LS” in the subject line of any emails.
CLOSING DATE: January 17, 2021