Community Shelter Worker - Homes First
Community Shelter Worker
We are looking for full time permanent Community Shelter Workers to work rotational shifts within our Shelters. If you are interested, please submit your resume to Homes First, Attention Human Resources Fax 416-214-1873 or E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
This position supports clients in their housing by assessing and supporting their needs and adhering to the mission statement and policies & procedures of Homes First Society.
Successful candidates will be required to work at our Respite services from November 15, 2019 until April 15, 2020.
- provide support to clients who are facing issues of poverty, mental health, addictions, abuse, social isolation and more
- demonstrated ability to work with people with hoarding behaviours and who have mental health and addiction issues.
- use case management as a tool to support residents in meeting their goals
- provide support including work readiness, basic life management skills, anger management, addiction counseling, assertive communication, setting goals, giving and receiving feedback, self-esteem, conflict resolution, problem solving and managing change
- apply knowledge of group processes and dynamics
- apply knowledge of the Residential Tenancies Act
- use excellent organizational and time management skills
- work independently and as part of a team
- communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing
- post-secondary education or equivalent
- several years of experience working with people who are homeless, under-housed and who are hard to house
- knowledge of tenant population, diversity issues, anti-discrimination practices and systemic reasons for homelessness
- excellent interpersonal skills
- certificates in First Aid, CPR, Crisis Prevention and Intervention an asset
- ability to work rotational shifts
Working in an environment where there may be smoke is required.
The successful applicant must provide a criminal record check that is satisfactory to Homes First Society.
Homes First Society is an equal opportunity employer.