Community Resource Specialist Coach - East Scarborough Storefront - MakeWay Charitable Society
At MakeWay, we believe in a world where everyone is living in a stable climate and is treated fairly and equally. Where people feel secure and part of a community. Ecosystems are in balance, and waters are clean. When our environment is healthy, economies and communities can thrive. This is the world we work toward. We do it with collaboration and creativity, with changemakers, funders, community organizations and investors from coast to coast to coast.
East Scarborough Storefront (The Storefront) is a project on MakeWay’s Shared Platform.
The Storefront uses an innovative Connected Community Approach to improve the wellbeing of people in the inner-suburban community of Kingston Galloway Orton Park (KGO) and East Scarborough.
Purpose: To ensure that residents of KGO are connected with the services and supports that they need; it includes both working in the resource centre to support residents with accessing services, information and equipment and the provision of one to one coaching of job seekers.
This position requires a commitment to understanding the complex issues and challenges people face who live in inner-suburban communities, an empathic approach to working with people, flexibility, and a dedication to working within a multi-team environment.
● Ensure that community members have the knowledge they need to make informed choices about accessing services, programs, resources and opportunities
● Ensure that partner organizations have the information they need to provide their services effectively while at The Storefront
● Respond effectively to community members utilizing active listening skills, solution-based approach techniques and crisis intervention techniques appropriately
● Work directly with local residents seeking employment, providing them with coaching and support to identify skills and employment goals,
● Identify supports residents may need, community assets to build upon, and opportunities to leverage, to help people reach their employment aspirations
● Leverage community based resources to ensure that community members have access to the training, job readiness and wrap around supports they need
● Demonstrate an awareness of shared responsibilities and takes initiative with other team members to ensure tasks are accomplished competently and on time
● Promote opportunities, programs and services available to KGO residents through a variety of approaches including conducting presentations, displays and participation in community events
● Minimum 2 years’ experience in Social Services, Employment Counselling, Customer Service or equivalent relevant experience
● Understanding and/or experience of the realities, benefits and challenges of living in marginalized inner suburban communities; direct connection to East Scarborough considered an asset
● Familiarity with programs/services & resources offered in Scarborough an asset
● A personal commitment to The Storefront’s aims and objectives and an understanding of or willingness to learn about the way The Storefront engages in the community (the Connected Community Approach)
● A welcoming, respectful and enthusiastic approach to working with people
● An ability to understand situations from the perspective of others (use of perspective empathy)
● A thorough understanding of working in community, and a demonstrated ability to apply an empathetic and holistic approach to working with people
● Adaptability and flexibility to perform core job responsibilities in various ways (public facing, one on one, remotely etc)
● Exceptional ability to interact authentically with people from diverse backgrounds and experiences
● Ability to think critically, analyse situations and issues
● Excellent research skills: the ability to find and share information quickly
● Knowledge of and ability to use of various types of technology
● Ability to de-escalate situations if they become volatile
● Ability to work independently and as a part of a team
● Excellent written and oral communication skills
● Strong computer proficiency
Full time Monday to Friday, schedule to be determined, occasional evening and weekend work required. Due to the reality of COVID-19, working from home will be required.
How to Apply
Please send resume and cover letter to Shane Beharry at firstname.lastname@example.org By: Monday October 19th by 5pm Please include “CRS Coach SF” in the subject line.
As The Storefront is on MakeWay’s Shared Platform, the selected candidate will be an employee of MakeWay
MakeWay is strongly committed to creating a diverse workplace environment and We welcome and encourage applications from the communities we serve. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
MakeWay will provide accommodation during all steps of the hiring process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. Please advise us if you need any accommodation.
Our sincere appreciation to all those expressing interest in the position, however, only those applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your interest! No phone calls or recruiters please.