Community Health Worker – Health Promotion and Volunteer Engagement - Centretown Community Health Centre
The Community Health Worker is responsible for building and maintaining relationships with various stakeholders to increase connections between vulnerable populations and Centretown Community Health Centre (CCHC) programs. The incumbent works collaboratively with the community and the Centre’s interdisciplinary teams to identify and implement relevant supportive health promotion initiatives that enhance community engagement and positive health outcomes. The role uses a Population Health Promotion and Community Health and Wellbeing framework, which embodies the social determinants of health with a focus on health equity.
A key focus of the role is developing and maintaining the volunteer program and acting as centre–wide resource for volunteer engagement. The Community Health Worker is responsible for the recruitment, training and support of volunteers for centre-wide programs. They engage the unique talents, skills and experiences of community volunteers to build a greater sense of community belonging. In addition, this role will be responsible to implement community programs that focus on supporting those who have complex health and social needs including seniors, newcomers and those who are isolated and experience barriers in achieving optimal health.
This role works mainly at CCHC and within its catchment area as appropriate.
- Bachelor degree in health, social work, or related discipline or equivalent combination of training and experience
- Minimum of three (3) years’ experience as community health educator/health promoter or a related field.
- Experience with volunteer management
- Experience working in community setting with marginalized and diverse populations
- Experience implementing motivational interviewing supporting behaviour change through SMART goal setting,
- Experience leading and facilitating groups and utilizing adult learning techniques.
- Experiences working in health/social services setting, working with diverse populations
- Experience with conflict resolution skills.
- Experience working from a health equity perspective
- Volunteer recruitment, screening and management experience
- Knowledge of Health Promotion principles
- Proficient with Windows-based computer systems, in particular, e-mail and MS Word, excel and PowerPoint.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and French
- Ability to work well independently and as part of multi-disciplinary team.
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
- Interest or experience in expressive arts, social engagement groups, physical activity and recreation as health promotion strategies
- Relevant speciality health and volunteer management certification or willingness to obtain and maintain (e.g., Healthy Living Champlain; Champlain Falls Prevention Strategy, Volunteer Ottawa - Certified in Volunteer Administration)
- Ability to communicate in other languages (e.g. Arabic, Chinese, Italian, Somali, Spanish, etc.).
English, written and spoken
French, written and spoken
Start date: As soon as possible
Salary range: $48,987-$59,021/year
Pension and Benefits: Excellent benefits package including Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP)
How to “express an interest” for this opportunity:
Submit your letter of interest along with your résumé on or before October 11, 2019 by 11:59pm to email@example.com.
Please note the following:
- The subject line of your email should read “Community Health Worker – Health Promotion and Volunteer Engagement – Full-time”
- The file name for your resume should read: “(last name)_(first name)_ Resume”
- The file name for your cover letter should read: “(last name)_(first name)_ Cover Letter”
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only applicants invited to an interview will be contacted.
Candidates with a disability requiring accommodation during the application and/or the interview process should contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org so arrangements can be made. CCHC is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in its workforce and as such all applicants are welcome.