Community Health Nurse - Squamish Nation
Permanent Full-Time Position
Yúustway Health, Wellness & Recreation Services Department; North Vancouver, BC
Reporting to the Primary Care Manager, this position plays a pivotal role in the Squamish Community, both in North Vancouver and Squamish Valley. This position utilizes expertise to promote and protect the optimal health, well-being and safety of all members/clients through universal and targeted programming within the Squamish Nation community. The incumbent must be compassionate, friendly and competent, while providing a full range of services including prevention, health promotion and early intervention services to individuals/groups in a variety of community-based settings. This position establishes and maintains multidisciplinary and community partnerships with internal and external stakeholders. The incumbent identifies and determines necessary interventions using a continuum of Public Health Nursing interventions such as screening, assessment, referral, advocacy, monitoring, education, consultation, etc. As an Indigenous primary care service provider, the incumbent supports and promotes a holistic approach to primary care.
Typical Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provides appropriate community health nursing services and support.
- Engages and collaborates with ‘community stakeholders using a community development approach to build capacity in individuals, groups, organization and communities.
- Participates in interdisciplinary case conferences, to provide input on a variety of care issues and reports observations, problems and changes in client’s condition.
- Plans, conducts and evaluates health programs i.e. immunization clinics, health education workshops, harm reduction strategies, etc.
- Oversees the inventory and ordering of biologicals, vaccines, medications and supplies as applicable.
- Acts an advisor on health issues and provides relevant community health-nursing interventions.
- Maintains program and client records and ensures they are in accordance with established standards, policies, procedures and regulatory requirements.
- Attends work-related conferences and seminars.
- Liaises with mainstream health agencies and acts as a referral link.
- Completes paperwork and provides reports.
- Applies an evidence informed approach to clinical problem solving by reviewing relevant guidelines/literature/resources and applying organizationally approved research findings to clinical practice.
- Adheres to workplace health & safety policies, safe work practices and procedures.
- Participates as a member of the Primary Care and Health Wellness & Recreation Teams.
Education, Level of Experience & Hiring Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing from a recognized post-secondary institution.
- Plus 6 years of directly-related experience in the majority of duties listed in the job description including, public health nursing, community health, health care management, primary care, etc.
- Must be member in good standing with the College of Registered Nurses of British Columbia (CRNBC).
- As career progresses, incumbent will be required to successfully complete job-required, short-term upgrading, training and courses relating to community health, home care, etc.
- Current certified skills/abilities in contraceptive management; assess and treat sexually transmitted infections, Baby Friendly initiative, communicable disease control practices/procedures, and mediation/ conflict resolution.
- Direct home support program delivery experience in the social services sector.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of community-based programs preferred.
- Experience as an intermediate/advanced level user of the Internet, Microsoft Office Applications, Medical Electronic Records, etc.
- Advanced experience working with health records databases.
- Working experience with a large scale computerized database system. Experience with JD Edwards is an asset.
- Previous experience working in a First Nations Community (particularly Squamish) is an asset.
- Must have a valid BC Driver’s License Class 4 or 5. Class 7N may be considered. Must have a reliable vehicle and current auto insurance.
- Must be able to work flexible shifts including evenings and weekends and on call.
- Must be willing to travel as required.
- Must successfully complete Criminal Record Check with a Vulnerable Sector Search as per Squamish Nation Policy.
- Willing to consider Bachelors Degree in Nursing from a recognized post-secondary institution and a minimum of 4 years of recent directly-related experience in public health nursing, community health, health care management, primary care, etc.
The above requirements are what Squamish Nation is seeking in the ideal incumbent at the time of posting and are subject to change, based on the needs of Squamish Nation
Salary: $73,638 to $86,632, plus a comprehensive benefits package.
All applications must be completed using on-line application, Please use the Chrome Browser when applying online link for all postings, at: http://www.squamish.net/jobs/
Chén̓chenstway Human Resources 336 West 4th Street, North Vancouver, BC V7M 1J1 604-985-8335
ONLY APPLICANTS WITH RELEVANT TRAINING & EXPERIENCE WILL BE CONTACTED FOR AN INTERVIEW