Communications Specialist - Retirement Homes Regulatory Authority
The RHRA is seeking candidates for the role of Communications Specialist to assist the Manager, Communications (“Manager”) with the execution of RHRA’s communications programs. The Communications Specialist will contribute and participate in the planning, development and implementation of communications and public affairs strategies aimed at promoting the work of the RHRA, building public awareness, managing issues and safeguarding the reputation and public profile of the organization.
A self-starter and team-player, with solid writing, content development and graphic skills, the successful candidate will, amongst other responsibilities:
- Support the Manager with the planning, development and implementation of communications strategies and programs, including drafting communications plans, and developing tactics and products that educate stakeholders about the RHRA and the Act.
- Work collaboratively with internal teams to be aware of the work of all the different organizational areas and to ensure that these are accurately represented through all communications and stakeholder engagement channels.
- Participate in the planning and implementation of short and long-term strategies for proactive education and awareness programs and activities targeted to industry trade and consumer media.
- Support digital and social media strategies that engage stakeholders and the public by developing messaging and coordinating updates to website content and social media channels.
- Support crisis communications and issues management plans through media scanning and compilation of daily media reports, issues identification and coordination of responses to internal and external audiences.
- Act as principal editor of digital content, including development of social media calendars; analyzing, recommending and implementing new website content and/or changes and ensuring consistent, accurate information appears on RHRA’s English and French websites.
- Write and/or edit content for print and online vehicles (i.e., multimedia content, annual reports, brochures, presentations, newsletters, website, etc.) and support RHRA staff with messaging, editing, and coaching, as needed.
- Develop and manage visual content, including photos and infographics in accordance to RHRA brand standards.
- Coordinate printing and distribution of publications – liaising with vendors and managing inventory of publications.
- Use data and other analytics to monitor, measure effectiveness of and report on communications strategies, including RHRA’s website.
- Coordinate event logistics including, venue selection, AV/staging requirements, accommodations, catering, etc., for any internal or external events related to communications plans, as needed.
- Represent the department at cross functional project meetings, providing communications and stakeholder input and coordinating project deliverables assigned to the department.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism or related field and 5 years of related experience, or equivalent of education and experience, in supporting communications programs.
- Proficient knowledge and understanding of media relations and public relations communications principles.
- Experience working as a team member during crisis communications situations and working with business leaders to identify and manage issues critical to organizational success or failure.
- Experience successfully managing relationships with vendors and suppliers, including media.
- Knowledge of the retirement homes or seniors housing sector and, experience in regulatory body, public sector or not-for-profit environment are assets.
- Outstanding ability to clearly and effectively communicate with others in writing and verbally.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Keen awareness and knowledge of the variety of external communications vehicles, practices and technology, including solid proficiency in social media best practices.
- Computer proficiency utilizing Microsoft Office productivity tools, photoediting and graphic design software, and content management systems (web publishing) such as WordPress, SurveyMonkey, MailChimp, and design software for presentations.
- Discretion and tact are essential for frequent interaction with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in handling highly sensitive information.
- A team-player, collaborative, and solutions-focused with strong ability to exercise mature judgment.
- Demonstrable professional, positive, and approachable attitude/demeanor with the ability to remain cool and calm under pressure.
- Highly organized and the ability to prioritize effectively and manage multiple tasks under tight timelines.
- Bilingualism in English and French is an asset.
Other Requirements: Satisfactory Professional and Criminal Reference Checks. It is anticipated that this position will work from the RHRA’s Toronto office, with some flexibility for working from home, once the office reopens. Until that time, this position will be required to work from a home office. Required office equipment (laptop, headset, softphone) will be provided.
Interested candidates should submit their cover letter and resume to email@example.com by August 11, 2020.
The Retirement Homes Regulatory Authority (RHRA) has the mandate to licence and inspect Ontario’s more than 750 retirement homes where over 60,000 seniors live. The RHRA is an agent for positive change, by working with the retirement homes sector to increase the protection, safety and well-being of our aging population.
The RHRA administers the Retirement Homes Act, 2010, which involves licensing homes, educating licensees, consumers and the public about the standards regulating retirement homes. The RHRA’s guiding principle is that a retirement home should be a place where residents live with dignity, respect, privacy and autonomy, in security, safety and comfort and can make informed choices about their care options.
The RHRA offers a great working environment, learning and development opportunities, work-life balance and, a competitive compensation and benefits package. We thank all applicants. However, only those under consideration will be contacted.
The RHRA has a diverse workforce and is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and, accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.