Communications Specialist - Canadian Lutheran World Relief
Job Title: Communications Specialist
FTE: Full-Time (35 hours/week)
Location: Winnipeg/Willing to consider remote work within Canada
Reports to: Senior Manager – Communications & Marketing
Closing Date: Sunday, February 28, 2021
We are hiring! Join a team that works towards creating a world where people live in justice, peace, and dignity. Canadian Lutheran World Relief (CLWR) is a charitable not-for-profit organization that challenges the causes and responds to the consequences of human suffering and poverty. Our head office is located centrally in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
CLWR supports hiring practices and a staff composition that benefits from a diverse staff team, where “diverse” means (but is not limited to) differences in ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, physical abilities, religious beliefs, and/or political beliefs. Working for CLWR will provide you with a competitive salary, a supportive work environment, and excellent learning opportunities.
This role requires a highly ethical individual who will ensure compliance with the agency’s policies and Strategic Compass. It is expected that all employees are in agreement with CLWR’s Mission Statement, Code of Conduct, and can work with its mandate within a faith-based environment. CLWR follows strict PSEA polices with a zero-tolerance policy for any exploitation and abuse.
The Communications Specialist is a key member of the Community Relations team. Under the direction of the Senior Manager - Communications & Marketing, this role provides communication expertise to the Community Relations department to achieve its fundraising targets and implement its strategic priorities.
This role is primarily responsible for creating stories and other internal and external communication materials under the Senior Manager - Communications & Marketing’s direction. The Communications Specialist will be responsible for implementing the communications strategy and overseeing its daily administration. This position will provide content for, and support the development of, various digital and print channels, including CLWR’s website, email and print newsletters, social media, and donor impact reports.
Core Competencies required for this role: adaptability, communication & storytelling, quality orientation, attention to detail, planning & organizing, problem-solving, self-motivation, results orientation, teamwork, relationship building, accountability, research & analysis, and multitasking.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
Minimum knowledge (formal education/general knowledge) required:
- Degree or diploma in Public Relations, Communications, Creative Communications, Marketing, Journalism, or a combined equivalent experience will be considered
- International development knowledge or experience
- Knowledge of fundraising, donor relations, relationship management considered an asset
- Understanding of donor-centric or audience-centric writing, with demonstrated ability to tailor writing for a specific audience
- Knowledge of working in a volunteer-based charitable, faith-based organization considered an asset
- Knowledge of database software, including managing records/reports, and using data to support processes considered an asset
Minimum experience required:
- Two or more years of experience in a similar role, with responsibility for creating content, managing projects, and daily workflows
- Experience or training related to communications and promotion/marketing
- Experience in providing a broad range of communication supports to various departments when required
- Experience or training in interviewing and reporting
- Experience writing for the web and publishing to a website content management system
- Proficient in analysis and research
- Demonstrated initiative and organizational competencies
Technical skills required:
- Excellent written and spoken communications skills in English
- Fluency in French would be an asset
- Ability to write compelling, concise stories and copy for digital and print audiences
- Strong expertise in all aspects of storytelling, from brainstorming story ideas to interview, writing, editing, and publishing
- Proven skills with media relations, including research, news releases, pitching, and relationship-building
- High degree of computer skills (Microsoft Office, Excel, PowerPoint, Database Management software, Fundraising software, web-based software, design software, etc.)
- Knowledge of photography, videography, design, or online advertising would be an asset
Other skills required:
- Proven ability to take the initiative and follow-through with limited supervision
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Innovative thinker with the ability to implement plans to achieve set goals
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to speak with confidence from a knowledge-base, effectively communicating technical information
- Demonstrated ability to establish priorities and meet deadlines in a time-sensitive environment
- Strong attention to detail with a high degree of accuracy
- Public speaking and presentation skills
- Must be eligible to work in Canada
- May be required to work from home during COVID-19 restrictions
- Fast-paced environment with tight deadlines
- Potential travel nationally on a limited basis
- Ability to work occasional evenings or weekends as required by special events/circumstances
- Manual dexterity required to use desktop or laptop
- Lifting or moving up to 15lbs may be required
For the full job profile visit our website at https://clwr.org/get-involved/work-with-us.Qualified applicants should email a single PDF document including a cover letter outlining how you meet the above criteria, your resume, salary expectations, and 2-3 writing examples to firstname.lastname@example.org. Closing date is February 28, 2021. Please quote ‘Communications Specialist’ in your subject line. We thank all who apply but will only be contacting those who are moving forwarding in the application process.