Communications Officer - Canadian Council of Muslim Women
If you are looking for an opportunity to apply your strategic and practical communications expertise, apply today to join our dynamic team of social justice advocates committed to gender equality. We aim to build on our successes and strengthen our presence and impact by enhancing our communications and promotional capacity.
The Canadian Council of Muslim Women (CCMW) is seeking a professional with expertise in traditional, social media and digital communications to achieve its strategic goals to advance the equality, equity and empowerment of Canadian Muslim women and girls.
Reporting to the CCMW Executive Director and accountable to the Board of Directors, the Communications Officer will:
- Oversee development and deployment of high quality video, image and graphic products to support fundraising and development activities and share stories of lived experiences of Canadian Muslim women in girls to align with CCMW’s strategic goals
- Review and revise communications strategy to align with CCMW's Strategic Plan.
- Ensure alignment with CCMW’s Digital Strategy and Social Media Strategy.
- Develop and implement a communications plan.
- In keeping with CCMW’s Digital Strategy and Social Media Strategy, enhance CCMW’s social media presence and monitor growth and progress on its social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter & Instagram).
- Review CCMW’s visual identity and branding, recommend and implement changes if necessary.
- Develop visual identity and branding standards and protocols for use in all communications channels for CCMW National and chapters.
- Develop communications templates for all external communications and marketing.
- Deliver media training to board, chapter and staff members.
- Manage media relations and develop a media relations strategy.
- Write and edit content for all types of digital and traditional media, including, but not limited to, news releases, statements and responses to events and incidents that affect Canadian Muslims and women and girls, program/project descriptions and announcements, communications and marketing campaigns.
- Ensure quality control of all external and internal communications.
- In collaboration with the Fundraising Officer, plan and manage events and develop and maintain an events calendar to support CCMW’s strategic goals.
- Develop video, image, and graphic design products directly or through external vendors.
Skills and Qualifications
- A post-secondary degree in communications, marketing, public relations or public affairs.
- At least five years professional experience in communications in a similar role.
- Proven experience in developing and implementing successful communications strategies and plans to support organizational goals.
- Demonstrated experience in writing, editing and deploying content for traditional, social and digital media for diverse audiences on complex and sensitive issues.
- Experience in effective marketing and branding methodologies and practices.
- Experience in overseeing creation of high quality video, image and graphic products.
- Demonstrated experience in media relations and training others to manage and deal with print and broadcast media.
- Experience with critical issues management and proactive responses to domestic and international incidents and events affecting Muslim women and girls.
- Demonstrated attention to detail and ensuring quality control of all internal and external communications.
- Skills/ability to develop video, image, and graphic design products.
- Critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to work under pressure within very tight timelines.
- Ability to work in a highly motivated and active team with competing priorities.
- Excellent organizational and event planning and management skills.
- Excellent computer and technology skills, including use of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Squarespace, MailChimp, Google Analytics, graphic design software, and contact and donor relations management software.
- Knowledge of issues facing Canadian Muslims and Muslim women and girls.
- Commitment to social justice, gender equality and human rights.
- Experience in the not-for-profit sector.
- Proficiency in written and spoken French an asset.
- Agree to CCMW’s mandate and Guiding Principles which may be found here.
Contract Position for 40 hours per week based in Greater Toronto Area, Ontario, at the rate of $60,000/year, including HST. Qualified candidates are required to submit their cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 p.m., January 22, 2021. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
The Canadian Council of Muslim Women (CCMW) is a national not-for-profit committed to attaining equality, equity, and empowerment for all Muslim women in Canada. Founded in 1982, the organization works to promote Muslim women’s identity in the Canadian context. Visit www.ccmw.com for details about the Canadian Council of Muslim Women.