Communications Officer - Assembly of First Nations
Communications Officer – National Chief’s Office
Refer to Competition Number 2020-NCO-01
Description: The Assembly of First Nations is seeking a dynamic and team-oriented individual to develop, introduce and oversee communication activities, initiatives and strategies for the Assembly of First Nations (AFN). This position will be in charge of media relations for the National Chief and write communication products while liaising internally. The candidate will be involved with various aspects of communications and public education programs to communicate the perspective, goals and aspirations of First Nations citizens.
Who Can Apply: Preference will be given to persons of First Nations ancestry only may apply (s. 16(1) CHRA).
Applicants are asked to identify Indian Status in their Cover Letter. Candidates should meet the following criteria:
- Experience working in a fast-paced, complex office environment, preparing and delivering succinct briefings to political leaders on a range of local, national and international issues, and offering complex media advice.
- Must have demonstrated superior skills writing and a background in politics, First Nations priorities, human rights.
- Must have an established background in social media development and management.
- Be able to communicate complex ideas and terms in a way that an average person can understand, and,
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, political science, or something similar field of study, or comparable life experience. Preference will be given to those with a Master’s degree.
Abilities & Skills: Superior demonstrated verbal and written communications skills; a strategic thinker and in tune with First Nations and political issues, with a good understanding of Canadian, international and Indigenous media. The incumbent must be able and willing to travel, while companying a political leader and be able to work varying hours, including weekends and evenings. Experience working in a political office is an asset
Preference will be given to fluently bilingual candidates (English/French). Knowledge of an indigenous language is an asset.
Salary Range: The AFN offers competitive salaries, extended health benefits and a pension plan.
Location: Ottawa, Ontario with some travel (due to COVID-19, AFN is currently working virtually)
Duration: Full-time, indeterminate position
Closing Date: August 12, 2020 by 12:00 pm (EST)
Individuals who feel they are qualified are invited to submit a covering letter (quoting the above references along with a current resume, and the names of three (3) work related references to:
No applications will be accepted beyond the closing deadline. Interviews will be held via Zoom. While we appreciate all applications, only those candidates short-listed for an interview will be contacted. AFN may cancel, postpone, or revise employment opportunities at anytime.