Communications Manager - Roots of Empathy
Roots of Empathy's mission is to build caring, peaceful, and civil societies through the development of empathy in children and adults.
Empathy is the ability to understand how others feel and to feel with them. It’s at the core of our humanity. Empathy encourages inclusion, social cohesion and respect. The absence of empathy can contribute to war, genocide, neglect, racism, abuse, bullying and marginalization of all kinds. Empathy can’t be learned through traditional instruction - it is best developed through experiential learning.
Our programs are based on experience – rooted in relationship. The learning is centred on the loving relationship between a baby and parent. Through this relationship children in a classroom setting are guided through an observation of a model of empathy. The program is evidence based and shown to reduce aggression, including bullying, and increase children’s social and emotional competence.
Founded and based in Toronto Canada in 1996, Roots of Empathy has expanded and our impact has grown. We currently have programs in 14 countries and have reached over one million children.
Roots of Empathy is seeking an experienced Communications Manager. Reporting to the Director, Communications and Marketing, the Communications Manager supports all communications efforts for both internal and external stakeholders. The successful candidate will be skilled at developing and maintaining relationships, leveraging opportunities and managing multiple projects. You are a creative and skilled writer and have extensive experience in social media and digital marketing. You are also organized and able to work with multiple teams across the organization, adapting to changing priorities and timelines.
- Supports the Director of Communications and Marketing in executing the communications strategy
- Provides communications support to program directors and operations teams
- Writes, designs and creates a variety of communications materials as requested
- Designs and creates graphics for marketing materials, annual report, brochures, infographics, presentations and other communications as required
- Develops and executes digital marketing strategies to raise brand awareness and increase online traffic to the organization’s website
- Updates website pages as required
- Creates and shares social media content in collaboration with the Director of Communications and Marketing and adhering to organizational values and strategies
- Tracks website and social media analytics
- Records and edits photos, video and audio
- Gathers and archives media coverage
- Ensures brand and visual identity consistency with all internal and external materials
- Supports event organization, including designing and creating marketing materials, as well as online registration and speaker presentations
- Attends events and provides technical support
- Monitors and forwards or responds to emails received by corporate communications accounts
- Maintains department inventories of core documents and other promotional materials
Experience and skills:
- Post-secondary education in communications, marketing or relevant discipline
- 2-4 years of experience in a similar position, preferably within the not-for-profit sector
- Superb communications skills, both written and verbal
- Superior interpersonal skills, including the ability to work in a team environment
- Exceptional organization skills
- Particular attention to detail, with a high level of process integrity
- Ability to work independently and handle multiple, sometimes shifting, priorities
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite and other graphic applications
- Ability to record and edit photos, video and audio
- Experience with website content management systems, preferably Wordpress
- Experience developing, creating and sharing social media – Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn
- French (German, Portuguese, Spanish, Korean) language skills an asset; experience working with Aboriginal communities an asset
- Experience with data analytics – Google and social media analytics
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to: email@example.com, citing Communications Manager in the subject line.
We thank all applicants for applying, however, only qualified candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.