Communications Director - Future Majority
Job Announcement: Communications Director, Future Majority
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Application Deadline: Rolling until filled
Desired Start Date: January 2021
Salary Range: $50,000 - $70,000 CAD + benefits
Questions: Email Aaron Myran, Executive Director.
Future Majority is looking for an experienced Communications Director, to oversee our communications with the media, donors, activists, and target youth voter audiences. We’re organizing year-round to build political power for young Canadians, including running the largest young voter mobilization programs in the country.
In this leadership role, you’ll report to the managing director and work closely with other director level staff to craft messaging and write email, SMS, media release, social media, website and microsite copy, as well as donor report communications for our target audiences. This individual will work closely with our Organizing Director and organizers to design and implement high-impact communications and translate the power young voters are building at the ballot box into meaningful, lasting change. A deep commitment to youth priorities like action on climate change and advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion through and within our organization is a must in this position. Our ideal candidate is an excellent written communicator, can understand and craft messaging for our various audiences (unlikely youth voters, donors, media), has experience with social media communications, and excellent project management skills.
About Future Majority
Future Majority is a national nonpartisan non-profit, founded in 2018. Our mission is to amplify the concerns of young Canadians so that EVERY candidate, politician, and party is an advocate for youth priorities. We set the agenda and impact policy by demonstrating our electoral strength and organizing ourselves in the places that matter most to politicians. Our approach focuses on authentic, peer-to-peer organizing, power building in politically important ridings, and youth leadership development. We’re for young people, by young people. Our impact and credibility with young voters positions us to help set Canada’s agenda around young Canadians’ priorities.
In the 2019 federal election, Future Majority organized 26,000 students to vote across 15 competitive ridings in Ontario, Saskatchewan and New Brunswick. In four of the ridings, we mobilized more students to the polls than the vote margin of the two leading parties running. In addition, through over 200 news stories including 38 national news stories like the front page of the Sunday Toronto Star, we spread our message that young Canadians are the largest voting bloc and our priorities are bold action on climate change and affordability.
Future Majority’s 2021 focus is building youth movement capacity for a potential fall 2021 federal election.
Want to know more? Check us out at futuremajority.ca.
- Email, Website/Microsite, and Social Media Communications | Collaborate with Future Majority’s executive director, canvass director and associate director and own the development of email and newsletter communications for donors and prospective donors, including a donor communications calendar. Collaborate with Future Majority’s Organizing Director and organizers and own the development of email, sms, social media, and website/micro-site communications for campaigns, including a campaigns communications calendar.
- Audience Archetype Development | Collaborate with Future Majority’s executive director, canvass director and associate director to understand, segment, and own the development of communications for Future Majority’s various donor audiences. Collaborate with Future Majority’s organizing director and organizers to understand, segment, and own the development of communications for Future Majority’s various volunteer and unlikely voter audiences.
- Earned Media Communications| Collaborate with Future Majority’s Organizing Director to co-develop newsworthy media events and news releases.
What we’re looking for
- Deep commitment to Future Majority’s mission and theory of change, including advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion through and within our organization.
- Highly organized (seriously) self-starter with serious initiative, and the ability to effectively manage and fully own projects with many moving parts. Excellent planning, prioritization, and time management skills.
- Strategic and analytical thinker with strong problem-solving skills and a relentless commitment to constantly improving our work.
- Experience managing an organization or company’s email and social media communications.
- Workstyle that is flexible, respectful, collaborative and nimble. Positive and solutions-oriented.
- Bonus: You are able to fluently speak french.
- Bonus: You have previous experience developing archetypes or personas for target audiences.
- First Round Interview: Future Majority will invite a select number of candidates for the first-round interview over Google Hangout.
- Takehome assignment: Candidates who pass the first round interview will be invited to complete a homework assignment which we expect to take between 5-7 hours to complete. To increase the accessibility of our application process and jobs to as many people as possible, we offer up to $105 to folks completing the assignment.
- Final Interview: Candidates who pass the second round interview will be invited to a final interview.
- Offer: Candidates who pass the final interview and reference checks are evaluated for an offer. To meet our goals as a diverse, equitable, and inclusive organization, Future Majority waits to evaluates the offer pool until at least one finalist is from an underrepresented community or background.
Future Majority supports and encourages diversity and equity. We are striving to make staff positions accessible to all potential team members, regardless of ethnicity, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender or identity. We welcome applications from all, and strongly encourage women, people of color, people with disabilities, immigrants, refugees & LGBTQ people to apply.