Communications Coordinator - Lesbian Gay Bi Trans Youth Line
FULL-TIME (37.5 hours/week) – 1 Year contract, with possibility for renewal
LGBT YouthLine is a Queer, Trans, Two-Spirit youth-led organization that affirms and supports the experiences of youth (29 and under) across Ontario. We do this by:
- Providing anonymous peer support and referrals;
- Training youth to provide support to other youth; and
- Providing resources so youth can make informed decisions.
Our Values and Strategic Plan can be found at www.youthline.ca.
Working with other YouthLine staff, the Communications Coordinator is responsible for leading the organization’s communications strategy, with a focus on strengthening our storytelling and program promotions. Working closely with the Executive Director, the Coordinator will also develop and implement engagement strategies to strengthen communication with potential and current donors.
The ideal candidate is a motivated self-starter with a passion for writing and storytelling, while centering YL’s Values. You are a fast learner and have an aptitude for collaboration and mutual growth. You thrive in roles where you are strengthening processes and systems while working on day-to-day tasks. You have some experience, and are excited to build your skills, and learn more. You understand and are able to communicate issues and challenges facing 2SLGBTQ+ youth across Ontario, especially youth in rural and non-urban spaces. You have a personal and professional commitment to anti-oppression, anti-racism, and accessibility.
- $42,000 - $46,000 per year (Commensurate with experience)
- 3 weeks’ Vacation and additional Sick days
- Health benefits (after completion of 3 month probation)
Remote, home-based position from anywhere in Ontario.
- Develop and implement a communications strategy to increase and strengthen engagement with various stakeholders, including 2SLGBTQ+ youth, donors, community partners, alumni, media, and service providers across Ontario.
- Support other staff, Board members and volunteers with communication and engagement, including outreach and promotion of YL programs, events, and information.
- Develop and maintain communications tools, planning calendars and processes that support contributions from program staff and volunteers.
- Create and maintain up-to-date and relevant content for YL’s social media, website and e-newsletters.
- Develop risk management plans to support staff-wide ability to troubleshoot issues, post instantly and engage with replies and comments, where necessary.
- Conduct regular monitoring and analysis of website, newsletter and social media content, identifying opportunities to strengthen our online presence to meet our goals.
Media and Publications (15%)
- Work closely with the Executive Director and management team to create op-ed articles, advocacy statements, and press releases.
- Monitor and distribute media mentions and published work of YouthLine.
- Coordinate the development, layout and design of soft and hard copy publications, including the Annual Report, reports, and outreach materials.
- Oversee the creation of graphics, designs, photography/video and other media.
Donors Engagement (15%)
- Lead the development and implementation of donor engagement strategies, including holiday and pride campaigns.
- Coordinate and support third party events and community initiatives.
- Supports promotions for special events (Youth Awards, Dare2Workshops), on an as-needed basis.
- Monitor and keeps up-to-date with trends and best practices that will benefit YL’s presence with different stakeholders.
- When necessary, provide back-up support for processing donations, thank you letters & tax receipts.
- Assist the Executive Director with other special projects, as necessary.
- Combination of education and/or work/volunteer experience in communications, marketing, fundraising, or related field
- Excellent writing, analytic, and verbal/presentation skills with the ability to summarize information and connect with a variety of audiences (2SLGBTQ+ youth, educators, service providers, donors, media, volunteers)
- Experience developing and coordinating content for different communication mediums utilizing content management systems (eg: social media, e-Newsletters, websites etc.)
- Fluent or ability to adapt to using Office365, MailChimp, Wordpress, Canva, Hootsuite
- Strong interpersonal, problem solving and planning skills
- Demonstrated ability to work both in a team environment, as well as independently
- Experience in graphic design, video editing, or HTML/CSS an asset
- Total hours per week: 37.5
- Flexible balance required in scheduling of work (based on deliverables required). Daily work is within normal office conditions but occasional evening and weekend work is required.
- Location: Remote, home-based position. Access to reliable internet is required.
- The position is supervised by the Executive Director.
Application for consideration
LGBT YouthLine only considers applicants that identify as part of the 2SLGBTQ+ community. Grounded in principles of Anti-Racism and Anti-Oppression, we recognize and encourage applications from communities that are further marginalized in employment opportunities, including: Black, Indigenous and people of colour, Trans-feminine people, Disabled people, people with experiences of migration, and people who have experiences of poverty. We particularly welcome applicants from these communities who are youth (under the age of 29). Applicants are encouraged to self-identify in their cover letters, which will be kept confidential.
Submit your resume and cover letter focusing on demonstrated skills and examples of relevant experience, why the position appeals to you, and what you can bring to YouthLine. You are also welcome to submit a video/presentation in lieu of a cover letter, submitted as a link in the email or resume.
We’d like to thank all applicants for their interest in this position and value the time you have put into applying. Due to limited resources and time constraints, only candidates who are selected for interviews will be contacted.
Please send applications by January 10, 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: Application for Communications Coordinator.