Communications and Events Manager - Canadian Race Relations Foundation / Fondation canadienne des relations raciale
JOB DESCRIPTION | Communications and Events Manager
The Canadian Race Relations Foundation
The Canadian Race Relations Foundation (CRRF) was created in 1996 to reaffirm the principles of justice and equality for all in Canada. The CRRF's mandate is to facilitate throughout Canada the development, sharing, and application of knowledge and expertise to eliminate racism and all forms of racial discrimination in Canadian society.
CRRF is looking for an experienced Communications and Events Manager to create and implement communications strategies that further CRRF's goals in the fight against racism across Canada.
As our organization expands, we need someone who can promote our brand. We will also require someone to interact with the public and establish productive relationships with key stakeholders in the media, civil society, government, and the business sector. Suppose you are the ideal candidate for this role. In that case, you should be excited about developing and implementing plans to engage target audiences and spread the message about CRRF's anti-racism mandate. You should have a proven track record of success in communications, preferably in the not-for-profit sector, as well as excellent written and verbal communication skills. Even better if you also have experience and skills in digital marketing and graphic design.
For the events management side of this role, we are looking for someone who is not only detail-oriented and responsive but delivers experiences that are so relevant and meaningful that foster a sense of belonging and genuine connection between CRRF's event participants and our overall mission. You should be creative, innovative, and an adept project manager. Your mission will be to create meaningful experiences. You have no problem juggling multiple tasks at once. You are comfortable with ambiguity and self-direction. You can manage the moving parts of an events calendar with composure and a high degree of detail. Most importantly, you genuinely listen to the voice of CRRF members and stakeholders and factor that into event concepts.
Job title: Communications and Events Manager
Job classification: Unionized
Hours: Full time
Hours of work: daytime hours
Ability to travel and attend weekends, early morning and evening meetings required
Work environment: CRRF office, 6 Garamond Court, Toronto, Ontario
Working from home during the Pandemic while the office is closed
The hiring salary range for the position is from $60,000 to $70,000, commensurate with experience and qualifications. CRRF offers a comprehensive benefits package, which includes three weeks of vacation, 4% of annual income towards RRSP plan, and life, disability, medical and dental care insurance.
Probationary Period: 60 days.
Reporting: The Communication and Events Manager will report to and work closely with the Director of Communications.
The Communications and Events Manager will be required to:
- Develop content and manage creative execution to provide a consistent, targeted, and impactful message;
- Build and maintain solid partnerships with assigned internal clients to better develop, coordinate, direct, and facilitate strategic communications designed to meet business goals.
- Assist Director of Communications in designing campaigns to target specific audiences, placing an emphasis and discipline on campaign performance to help with recommendations for future programming;
- Manage external or outsourced contractors such as graphic designers, photographers, and other media-production specialists integral to the completion of marketing projects;
- Contributes ideas for new programs, researching and recommending innovative branding techniques;
- Research and understands key communication challenges, target audiences, competitive activity, and environmental factors that impact CRRF programs;
- Provide hands-on advertising support, paying close attention to timelines;
- Identify and presents opportunities for consistency in messaging across channels from branding materials to digital to print;
- Develop an understanding of short- and long-term CRRF goals and planned initiatives;
- Adjust and communicate plan changes as necessary to ensure costs for materials, media, and labour are in line with available budget for a specific product or campaign;
- Work with leadership to take the pulse of stakeholder activity and/or trends to identify cross-marketing opportunities;
- Stays informed of developments in the field of marketing and communications within the industry to foster ideas and innovation;
- Designs, builds, and maintains our social media presence;
- Measures and reports performance of all digital marketing campaigns and assesses against goals (return on investment and key performance indicators);
- Identify trends and insights and optimize spend and performance based on the insights;
- Utilize strong analytical ability to evaluate end-to-end CRRF social media follower experience across multiple channels.
- Conduct short- and long-term planning and management for events;
- Develop and recommend the budget, marketing plans, and objectives and manage within those approved plans;
- Recommend, develop, and implement effective marketing plans for generating event interest;
- Evaluate each piece of event business to ensure event goals are met;
- Assemble creative and innovative event attractions based on internal capabilities or outsource to qualified vendors.
The candidate should have sound knowledge of and extensive experience working with:
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access);
- Content Management Systems such as Joomla;
- Proven working experience in digital marketing, particularly within the non-profit sector;
- Demonstrable experience leading and managing SEO/SEM, marketing database, email, social media and/or display advertising campaigns;
- Solid knowledge of website and marketing analytics tools (e.g., Hootsuite, MailChimp, Google Analytics, NetInsight, Omniture, WebTrends, SEMRush, etc.);
- Working knowledge of ad serving tools;
- Experience in setting up and optimizing 'pay-per-click' campaigns on all major search engines;
- Corporate event planning (both live and virtual), including virtual meeting management tools such as Zoom or Streamyard.
Some knowledge of or facility with graphic design tools such as Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) or Canva would be desirable.
- Bachelor's degree in communications, journalism, public relations or relevant field.
- A minimum of 5 years' experience in a similar role;
- Proven experience creating varied content for targeted audiences;
- Strong knowledge of communication practices and techniques in the not-for-profit or social justice sector;
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills;
- Must be able to multitask and work well under pressure;
- Ability to exercise diplomacy, good judgment, tact, and discretion;
- Excellent organizational and leadership abilities.
You must meet all the essential qualifications in order to be appointed to the position. Other qualifications may be a deciding factor in choosing the person to be appointed. Some essential and other qualifications will be assessed through your application process.
Proof of Canadian residency or citizenship, education, and three references from your previous supervisor and coworkers will be requested if you are considered for the position.
To find out more about the CRRF and this job opportunity, please visit our website at www.crrf-fcrr.ca
Interested Canadian candidates are asked to submit their curriculum vitae with a cover letter and availability date till May 21, 2021 to:
Arsalan Tavassoli MA, CPA
Director, Finance and Administration
Canadian Race Relations Foundation
By email: email@example.com
While all responses will be appreciated and handled in the strictest confidence, only those being considered for interviews will be acknowledged.