Communications and Digital Engagement Manager or Associate - York University, Youth Research and Evaluation eXchange
Position Type: Full-Time (a preference for part-time work may be accommodated)
Contract Duration: August 15, 2020 – March 31, 2021
Rate: $58,000 - $70,000 with benefits
Youth Research and Evaluation eXchange (YouthREX) is a province-wide initiative based at the School of Social Work, York University. YouthREX facilitates the integration of research evidence and evaluation in the development and delivery of Ontario’s youth programs.
Our Vision is an Ontario where shared knowledge is transformed into positive impact for all
Our Mission is to make research evidence and evaluation practices accessible and relevant to Ontario’s grassroots youth sector through knowledge mobilization, capacity building and evaluation leadership.
Our Stakeholders include grassroots youth-led and youth-serving initiatives (frontline staff, program staff, leadership), funders and policy makers.
We are looking for a Communications and Digital Engagement Manager or Associate who is excited at the thought of being part of a small but mighty team that straddles the interface of community and academic cultures. They will play a key role in developing and implementing processes that allow YouthREX to amplify our offerings to Ontario’s youth ecosystem.
ABOUT THE POSITION
As YouthREX’s Communications and Digital Engagement Manager or Associate, you'll play a critical role in leading our overall communications strategy and our social media engagement to support YouthREX’s vision of facilitating shared knowledge for better youth outcomes!
You’ll lead YouthREX’s social media activities and digital storytelling to bring YouthREX’s work to life in innovative and engaging ways through different media (videos, podcasts, data visualization and infographics, writing, photos, etc.). You’ll collaborate with team members to mobilize resources and opportunities across various platforms to diverse stakeholders and audiences, and ensure that all content aligns with YouthREX’s communication style, key messaging, and branding. You will effectively seek to promote YouthREX and our work, expanding our networks, and identify emerging issues and opportunities for engagement across the sector. You’ll also actively contribute to the animation of YouthREX’s Virtual Café that hosts our online Communities of Practice.
You are passionate about equity and youth wellbeing and understand and acknowledge the complexities of the youth sector.
This role requires having a finger on the pulse of Ontario’s youth sector while using your communications and digital engagement skills to amplify YouthREX initiatives for our stakeholders. This position also requires lots of multi-tasking, initiative and creative collaboration with team members.
- Post-secondary education and training in Communications/Marketing/Design (or related field) and/or two to four years in a similar role.
- Ability to creatively and efficiently develop content for digital and other communication channels, such as blogs, social media, reports.
- Experience with and high-level of interest in using social media and online platforms, including MailChimp, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Canva, LinkedIn, Buffer/Hootsuite, EventBrite, SurveyMonkey, GoToWebinar, and Zoom, among others.
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of SEO, Adobe Creative Suite (mainly InDesign) and Wordpress.
- Media production skills (photo/video editing).
- Strong understanding of digital analytics, including ability to collect, analyze and interpret data to guide data-informed decision-making.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to synthesize complex information and translate into materials that are accessible to a range of stakeholders.
- Excellent organizational, planning and coordination skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to foster positive relationships and communicate well with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated understanding of the barriers and challenges that confront youth – including racialized youth, newcomer youth, Indigenous youth, youth living with disabilities or special needs, youth in and leaving care, Francophone youth, LGBT2SQ youth, youth living in rural and remote communities, youth from low-income families and youth in conflict with the law.
Interested and think your experiences and skills make you a good fit for this position? Please send a resume and a cover letter to email@example.com outlining why you are interested in this position and how you meet the criteria above, drawing on specific examples. You may also want to answer the following three questions in your cover letter:
- Explain the most successful social media campaign that you’ve run. What was the goal and how did you meet it?
- How do you think social media channels can support YouthREX’s mission and values? What would the goal(s) be?
- From a quick look at YouthREX’s social media presence, what is ONE thing we could test that may help with engagement in meeting those goals?
Please also enclose sample(s) of your writing and work that is relevant to this position.
Review of applications will begin on August 07, 2020 and will continue until the position is filled.