Communications and Development Coordinator - Women's Shelters Canada
During Covid-19, this is a remote position. We are open to applicants within Canada but outside of Ottawa. Weekly hours worked can be negotiated on a consistent schedule – either part-time or full-time. We are open to splitting this position into two part-time positions – one in Communications and one in Development – for the right candidates. Timing of hours worked can alter, if necessary, to allow for challenges of working from home.
Women’s Shelters Canada brings together 14 provincial and territorial shelter organizations and supports the over 550 shelters across the country for women and children fleeing violence. We were created by the provincial and territorial shelter associations who identified a need for a unified voice on the issue of violence against women at the national/federal level. Together, we have become a national, collaborative voice for change.
Our mission is to provide a unified voice on the national stage for women’s shelters and transition houses to help generate systemic change with the goal of ending violence against women and children. WSC is a small organization with a current team of five.
The Communications and Development Coordinator is expected to work from an intersectional feminist framework to carry out the work of the organization and achieve the overall mission and strategic plan for the organization.
The list below includes the main responsibilities associated with this position. It is understood that responsibilities will vary according to the ongoing and emerging initiatives of WSC.
The Coordinator plays a supportive role in developing and distributing internal and external communications under the supervision and guidance of the Communications and Development Manager.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assisting in the development and distribution of internal and external communication materials that are accurate, timely, and aligned with the organization’s key messages;
- Assisting in the editing and formatting of external communications materials developed by WSC staff;
- Developing social media assets and assisting in the management of social media channels and digital communications;
- Assisting with the translation of documents;
- Supporting the Communications and Development Manager in responding in a timely manner to time-sensitive communications needs and emerging issues in the community and/or media.
The Coordinator plays a key role in development and fundraising, working with the support and guidance of the Communications and Development Manager.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Advance the profile of Women’s Shelters Canada to donors and prospects to inspire ongoing commitment;
- Stewardship of current and future individual donors with annual giving under $25,000;
- Connect with donors on a regular basis to share updates, annual reports, and provide customized correspondence and reports;
- Ongoing proactive research in development of the prospect list identifying key alignments, towards an annual goal of $300k;
- Collaborating with the Manager, initiation of a Planned Giving process;
- Strengthening Ties donor stewardship and campaign wind-up, with the support of the Manager;
- Ensure that all gifts are received in accordance with Canada Revenue Agency and WSC’s gift acceptance policies;
- Proposal and grant creation, submission and follow-up/stewardship for private sector donations focusing on gifts under $25,000 annually;
- Support of the Manager in proposal and grant writing for private sector funding in the amount of $25,000 and more annually;
- Support the Manager in grant writing for public sector support
Other Areas of Responsibility
- Provide input and participate in the implementation of WSC’s collaborative work;
- Provide administrative support associated with WSC’s ongoing operations;
- Represent WSC at meetings and events.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Post-secondary degree (college or university) related to women’s or gender studies, communications, marketing, or a related field
- Two years’ experience in a Communications and/or Development position
- Knowledge of industry best practices and emerging trends in the fields of fundraising, stewardship, and digital giving
- Demonstrated experience managing social media platforms
- Exceptional writing skills and ability to distill information
- Pays excellent attention to detail
- Ability to take direction and work independently
- Self-starter with an ability to think strategically and problem-solve
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task and, organize work effectively and under pressure
- Quick learner of new software
- Strong team player
- Operates from an intersectional feminist approach
- Fluency in French
- Experience with Google Ads, Canva, Piktochart, Adobe Suite, and Wordpress
- Familiarity with donor-management systems
- Experience in the not-for-profit sector
- Knowledge of the violence against women sector in Canada
This position reports to the Communications and Development Manager. Annual salary is between $52,000-$60,000 for a full-time position, commensurate with experience in accordance to job description. An employee benefits package is included with this position. This is a two-year contract with possibility of renewal.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter explaining why this position is of interest and how your experience will enhance the work of WSC. Please include in your cover letter whether you are interested in a full-time or part-time position (2 days/week for Communications, 3 days/week for Development). Please apply here (via the CharityVillage website). Deadline to apply is 11:59pm on Sunday, October 25. We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. WSC practises employment equity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates.