Clinical Therapist - Canadian Mental Health Association, York and South Simcoe
Closing Date: October 15, 2019 | 4:00 pm
Permanent, Full-time, 35 Hours per Week, Evening Hours and Weekends may be required
Competition #: 2019-070
Our Mission: As the nation-wide leader and champion for mental health, CMHA facilitates access to the resources people require to maintain and improve mental health and community integration, help build resilience, and support recovery from mental illness.
Our Organizational Values:
- Client and Family Centered – through partnership, accountability and action
- Culturally Competent – to provide the best service and work experience
- Innovation – to bring value to our community
Team Values: Trust, Respect, Communication and Teamwork.
Hours of work: 35 hours per week. Flexible evening or weekend hours may be required.
The Clinical Therapist works with clients 16 years of age and older who are experiencing mental illness, and provides assessment and treatment of cognitive, emotional, and/or behavioral symptoms through psychotherapeutic means, delivered through a therapeutic relationship based on verbal and non-verbal communication. The Clinical Therapist assists individuals with disorders of thought, cognition, emotional regulation, perception or memory that may seriously disrupt their judgment, insight, behavior, communication, interpersonal relationships, and social functioning.
Individual and group therapy is provided according to assessed needs and best practices in counseling and psychotherapy. The Clinical Therapist collaborates with clients to develop a personal empowerment plan that includes improved symptom management and reduced distress, richer interpersonal relationships, and increased personal capacity to realize goals and aspirations and participate fully in community life.
In addition to compliance with all organizational policies and procedures, the incumbent is also expected to behave ethically, demonstrate competence in effective communication and team building, demonstrate effectiveness in working in a collaborative environment, and demonstrate confidence in decision-making and in building relationships.
- A Masters in Social Work, Psychology or a related discipline
- Current registration with a regulatory body under the Regulated Health Professions Act
- Minimum four (4) years’ experience in a community-based organization working with adults with serious mental illness
- Minimum four (4) years’ experience in providing individual and group psychotherapy
- Knowledge of CBT, Mindfulness and DBT
- Knowledge and experience in other treatment modalities is an asset
- A second language (Cantonese, Farsi, Italian, Mandarin, Russian, Tamil) reflecting the local community is an asset
- Knowledge of systemic issues and social determinants of health such as poverty, unemployment, stigma, and the isolation felt by individuals with serious mental illness and their families
- Knowledge of Ontario Mental Health Act and mental health reform principles, the Substitute Decisions Act, the Psychotherapy Act, the Health Care Consent Act and PHIPA requirements
- Ability to apply Recovery principles and empowerment oriented philosophies and practices in work with consumers
- A valid Canadian driver’s license, a minimum $1,000,000 third party liability insurance
- A satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Screening (Police Check)
This position reports to and is supervised by the Manager, Home Now Program.
Working Conditions: Office work. Evening and weekend hours as required.
In keeping with mental health reform, best practices, funding and direction this position may later require knowledge, skills, abilities and working conditions not noted here.
Why work for CMHA York Region?
We are team committed to our vision of mentally healthy people in a healthy society. That means we respect that our clients are the experts in their recovery journey and our role is to provide support, resources and opportunities based on their hopes and dreams. It means that we foster and encourage an entrepreneurial spirit to create, implement and sustain innovative, evidence based and transformational impact. We seek out and build partnerships, collaborate and share knowledge to be the most culturally competent team and fully integrated service delivery partner.
Our team cares for each other. We have our own team values of trust, respect, teamwork and communication. We hold ourselves accountable and we celebrate our wins. Because we risk, we learn and we take the opportunity and time to constantly improve our skills, the way we function as a team and ultimately deliver services.
We are a team committed to mental health for all. Join us and be part of providing great care in great communities!
If you are interested in this opportunity, follow the link on this posting or visit our Career section of our website. Complete the application form and submit cover letter and resume (PDF or Word) together as one (1) document / attachment in the Resume section, outlining how your experience matches our requirements, to the Human Resources Department quoting Competition # 2019-070.
CMHA, York Region Branch supports the recovery of people with mental illness and promotes diversity in the workplace. We welcome people with lived experience, women, aboriginal people, people with disabilities, and members of the 2SLGBTTQ+, visible minority and immigrant communities to apply.
To request this posting in an alternate format or to request accommodation in the application process, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Online: www.cmha-yr.on.ca, under CAREERS section
While we thank all candidates for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please be advised that if you are currently active in another recruitment cycle, you will not be eligible for this position.