Child and Youth Care Practitioner - Western Ottawa Community Resource Centre
The Casual Relief - Youth is responsible for:
Works closely with the Child and Youth Worker and is part of a multi-disciplinary team that addresses and supports issues related to youth ages 12-17, their family and community. When needed this position is responsible for assisting in the delivery of activities/programs at our evening drop-ins that empower youth and encourage and support community members to identify needs; develop strategies as well as implement programs and services that respond to the issues.
Western Ottawa Community Resource Centre operates under the following guiding beliefs:
PRINCIPAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
Job Specific Responsibilities:
- On an on-call/casual basis, the hire will be called in to replace regular part-time staff.
- Assist in program coverage at drop-in programs
- Perform administrative duties related to the program;
- Other related duties as assigned.
WOCRC employees have some fundamental responsibilities that go beyond the confines of their occupations. These include:
- Ensuring that the commitment to diversity is understood and respected. This includes diversity of culture, language, faith expression, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic resources and degrees of physical (dis)ability;
- Working in a manner that incorporates health promotion and recognizes the determinants of health
- Maintaining up-to-date professional skills and knowledge through formal and informal training;
- Compliance with all mandated legal/regulatory requirements related to working at WOCRC (Employment Standards Act, Occupational Health and Safety, standards of professional conduct);
- Working in a manner that preserves confidentiality and seeks to minimize risk in keeping with Privacy and Confidentiality Policies and Procedures.
- Perform other related duties as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Degree or diploma in health or social services, child and youth worker program certificate or equivalent combination of education and training;
- Minimum of 1 year experience working with youth, their family and community in a community-based model of practice, including: community capacity building and mobilization;
- Education and experience working with the LGBTQ+ youth population.
- Training and experience with group facilitation and leadership development.
- Experience working with high-risk youth and knowledge of related community resources (LGBTQ+ youth and rural youth);
- Knowledge of social services delivered in Ottawa;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Ability to work flexible hours is mandatory; position involves evening and weekend work;
- Valid First Aid and CPR considered an asset;
- Knowledge of the Child and Family Services Act;
- Demonstrated commitment to and knowledge of a feminist and anti-oppression framework;
- Knowledge of social services delivery in Ottawa;
- Ability to communicate fluently in English, spoken and written.
- Ability to communicate fluently in French, spoken and written, an asset.
- Other languages reflective of the community we serve an asset.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office suite of products
- $25.29 per hour plus 4% Vacation pay;
- 12-16 hours per week.
WOCRC has an accommodation process in place that provides accommodations for employees with disabilities. If you require a specific accommodation because of a disability or a medical need, please do not hesitate to let us know how we can best accommodate you.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are based on business and job requirements. All qualified applicants will receive considerations for employment based on individual qualifications, without regard to age, ancestry, colour, race, citizenship, ethnic origin, place of origin, creed, disability, family status (including single status), gender identity, gender expression, record of offences (in employment only), sex (including pregnancy and breastfeeding), sexual orientation or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in Ontario.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this employment opportunity. Please note however that, due to the volume of résumés received, only those applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted