Child and Family Therapist- Play Therapy - York Hills Centre for Children Youth and Families
We are seeking an experienced clinician who will join our community clinical team to provide play therapy assessment and treatment for children and families, as well as to facilitate groups and workshops for York Hills clients.
This position is ideal for an experienced, talented and motivated clinician who has expertise working in children’s mental health, play therapy, Theraplay® and who is committed to working collaboratively with children, families, community partners and mental health colleagues.
*Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, this position will require the Play Therapist to be comfortable and willing to learn how to deliver tele-play services, as well as in person therapy under the guidance of agency guidelines and York Region Public Health directives.
Working as a Child and Family Therapist in our Play Therapy Program your key responsibilities include:
- Assessment, case formulation and treatment planning grounded in the following theoretical constructs: trauma, attachment, ecosystems, neurobiology, child development and anti-oppressive practice
- Case co-ordination
- Delivering single session and brief therapy using a solution focused brief therapy model
- Facilitating groups, workshops and webinars
- Participate in quality assurance, evaluation and research activities, as required. .
We are looking for an exceptional individual who has:
- Sound knowledge of Play Therapy treatment approaches including Child focused play therapy, sand tray therapy, Theraplay®, MIM
- Familiarity with evidenced based/informed treatment modalities including but not limited to DBT, CBT, SFBT and EFST
- Knowledge and understanding of infant, child and adolescent development
- Knowledge of community-based programs including those for transitional age youth and adult services
- Awareness and literacy of anti-oppressive practices with the ability and willingness to implement them in work with children, youth and families as well as with colleagues in the workplace
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a multi-disciplinary environment, exercising professional judgement in conflictual and stressful situations
- Suicide risk assessment and intervention skills
- Proven group facilitation skills, utilizing evidence-based practices
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Advanced written language skills and ability to complete documentation within given timelines
- Willing to work a flexible schedule, that includes up to two evenings per week
- Values and embraces the supervision process
- Access to a reliable vehicle and ability to travel to other community-based settings as needed
Here is what you will need:
- Master’s Degree in Social Work, Counselling Psychology (or equivalent).
- Registration in good standing with an appropriate governing body (Ontario College of Social Workers or College of Registered Psychotherapists in Ontario)
- Two years of experience in a children’s mental health setting working with children and families.
- Certification or recognized training leading to certification in Play Therapy or Expressive Arts (i.e./CAPT foundations training)
- Recognized training and experience in Theraplay® and MIM
- Access to a private, confidential home office space with high speed internet access.
In order to meet the needs of our Francophone children and families, clinicians that are bilingual are encouraged to apply. The successful candidate will have a valid driver’s license, $2 million vehicle liability insurance and a vulnerable sector screening.
Application Deadline: August 14, 2020
In keeping with our efforts to represent the diversity of our community, we strongly encourage individuals from diverse backgrounds to apply. We are committed to providing accessible employment practices that comply with the AODA. If you require accommodation during any stage of the recruitment process, please notify us.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Any information obtained during the course of recruitment will be used for employment recruitment purposes only and not for any other purpose.