Caseworker, Community Based 1-1 and Big Bunch - Big Brothers Big Sisters of Guelph
At Big Brothers Big Sisters of Guelph (BBBSG) it is our collective mission to promote the healthy development of the children and youth of our communities through a variety of quality mentoring programs. We seek to put children and youth on a path to lifelong success and change the trajectories of their lives in positive ways. We are committed to the recruitment of volunteers dedicated to upholding the values and principles of the agency and to those we serve.
Caseworkers report to the Casework Manager. As program staff, they are required to follow the National Standards of Big Brothers Big Sisters of Canada. Community-Based Caseworkers will interview community-based volunteers, train community-based mentors, intake children/youth into the community-based programs, liaise with local schools, determine mentor’s and child/youth’s appropriate assignment within the community-based programs, and supervise their involvement.
Big Bunch is a group program, which is offered to children in the community, specifically kids who are on the BBBSG Community-Based Waitlist, so they can receive mentorship from a caring adult while completing the intake and training. The Big Bunch group program runs seasonally, for seven weeks. In addition to the above screening and training, the Community-Based Caseworker will adapt group programming, build program resources and connect these to participants in the program.
The terms “Mentor” or “Volunteer” are used to refer to Community-Based Mentors.
Little Brother/Sister and Family Process:
- Provide information and conduct required interviews for children and their parents during the application process
- Determine a child’s eligibility and suitability for placement in the program
- Contact schools or other involved agencies as appropriate for assessment input
- Provide ongoing referral and support for situations where service provision is not possible
- Provide necessary follow-up/support for children on the waiting list and keep contact information current
- Inform families of reasons for denial of service or the closing of an application
- Redeliver Child Safety program according to National Standards (if needed)
- Re-assess and assign Little Brothers/Little Sisters following match termination
- Provide necessary information to the volunteer during application process
- Review volunteer application and documentation
- Interview prospective volunteers
- Inform volunteers of their acceptance or rejection
- Re-assess and promote re-assignment of volunteers following termination of a match where appropriate
- Conduct program specific training for Community-Based 1-1 mentors
Matching and Supervision:
- Participate as a team member in the selection and matching process of a Mentor/Child
- Coordinate and facilitate the pre-match meeting between the Mentor, Parent and Child (Where appropriate) and the match meeting
- Monitor match according to National Standards
- Provide necessary intervention and support to volunteers and family in consultation with the casework team
- Maintain files in accordance with agency standards
- Complete case notes for all matches in accordance with National Standards using the Microsoft Dynamics (CRM) case management system
- Provide liaison to other agencies, professionals and institutions as needed for Little Brothers/Sisters, volunteers, and parents
- Facilitate the match closure process
Material Preparation and Presentation:
- Purchase required materials to stock supply bins for all school-based programs
- Purchase required materials to supply 1-1 matches with seasonal activity kits
- Purchase required materials to supply Big Bunch group kits with group activity kits
- Update the Pinterest page with activities for both in person and virtual activities
Big Bunch Program:
- Interview/screen potential group volunteers
- Place approved volunteers in a suitable Big Bunch group
- Implement/supervise seasonal seven week programs
- Monitor groups according to National Standards
- Assist families, as appropriate, to find access to other programs (e.g. summer camp, scholarships, counseling)
- Keep accurate statistics
- Attend Environ- Mentoring outings when possible
Other Related Duties:
- Perform administrative functions as required to manage caseload
- Assist with the planning and or implementation of annual Community Based events
- Provide regular reports to the Executive Director as required (e.g. statistics).
- When needed, assist other staff with Child Safety Training Program for volunteers, children and parents as well as the intake and interview process
- Attend meetings as directed by the Casework Manager or Executive Director
- Participate in the development of policy, procedures and agency guidelines relative to service delivery
- Remain aware of federal & provincial legislation and the agency’s privacy policies & practices.
- Minimum one year of relevant experience in casework, social work and/or service delivery
- Minimum 2-year post-secondary diploma or degree in a related field
- Excellent social, interpersonal and leadership skills, public speaking and writing ability
- Program facilitation or development is an asset
- Strong computer skills and familiarity with databases
- Ability to think strategically, communicate effectively and foster teamwork
- Ability to develop and maintain local partnerships
- Advanced problem-solving ability
- Ability to multitask during high stress seasons of work
- Ability to build organizational capacity
- Personal effectiveness, including interpersonal sensitivity and leadership presence
- Well-honed organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work remotely and communicate effectively with Casework Manager and rest of team
For more information about our agency, please visit our website at www.bbbsg.ca. Please forward your resume no later than April 9, 2021 to the attention of Brigitta Wideman, Casework Manager.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Guelph is committed to a fair and inclusive work environment. We will endeavour to accommodate the needs of qualified applicants in all parts of the hiring process.
We thank everyone for their resume; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.