Career Counsellor/ Job Developer - Youth Employment Services YES
Career Counsellor/ Job Developer
(Maternity Leave Contract until January 3, 2020)
555 Richmond Street West
YES believes that employment is empowerment and the cornerstone of safe and healthy communities. YES leads the Canadian youth sector with innovative programs that empower disadvantaged and vulnerable youth to become self-sufficient contributing members of society.
Reporting to the Manager, the Career Counsellor/ Job Developer position is focused on employment planning and preparation services for youth facing barriers to employment. This position is responsible for delivering programming, building partnerships with employers in the GTA to create job opportunities for youth, job coaching, career counselling, group facilitation and job maintenance.
Your energy and enthusiasm are boundless and you enjoy and thrive in a fast paced environment. You are detail oriented, creative and an excellent communicator. You want to build partnerships with employers and to create employment opportunities for youth. You thrive in a professional environment and are driven and welcome the opportunity to aspire to measurable targets.
- University Degree and three years of experience in counselling, group instruction and in sales, marketing and/or job development
- Knowledge and understanding of the target group, labour market information and resources in Toronto for youth and other job seekers.
- Job development, recruitment, and/or placement experience is a must
- Excellent communication, negotiating and presentation skills
- Strong computer skills in MS Office, Internet, email and database management
- Knowledge of the Toronto labour market, industry trends and apprenticeships
- Group leadership/curriculum/program development skills
- Ability to relate to socially and economically disadvantaged youth
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural/multi-racial workplace
- Previous experience and proficiency in Job Development or recruitment an asset
- Outreach to multiple employers through research, cold calling and email to secure high-quality placements and hit the targets for placement on a weekly and monthly basis
- Maintain a diverse job bank, keeping all information current and well organized
- Develop training plans in conjunction with employers for the duration of all training placements
- Negotiate training contracts and stipends, ensuring all forms are signed prior to placement start dates
- Market YES services to employers and create job trials, job shadowing, mentorship and job placement/opportunities by: mail-outs, cold calls, telephone solicitation and any other method deemed appropriate
- Monitor and maintain regular contact with employers to encourage successful participant job retention
- Conduct regular evaluations with all YES clients and employers to ensure excellent customer service
- Assess the client’s skills and abilities, employment interest and barriers to successful employment to determine employment needs and develop a plan of action identifying level of support
- Clarify employment, training or career goals by exploring local labour market, education and training opportunities/resources, including apprenticeship opportunities
- Develop employment opportunities and make direct placements with employers
- Determine need, suitability and readiness for subsidized on-the-job training
- Follow up with clients, referring agencies and employers
- Conduct presentations to agencies and the community at large on behalf of YES
- Facilitate regular group workshops in all areas of job search including, but not limited to resumes, cover letters, job search strategies and interview techniques
- Adhere to and maintain outcomes target as set by YES and ensure high quality customer service
- Design and deliver a suite of pre-employment workshops; job readiness, career exploration, life-skills, job attainment and employment related skills
- Ensure curriculum is current, engaging and geared toward youth
- Adheres to all YES policies and procedures and ensures confidentially is maintained on client, personnel, financial and agency matters
- Represents YES at all times in a professional manner
- Participates in regular supervision meetings
- Attends all staff meetings
- Works cooperatively with other team members
- Carries out any other duties, as required
Starting Salary: $51,713.56 increase after 6 months $52,325.46, OPSEU Bargaining Unit Position.
Hours of Work: Monday to Thursday: 9 – 5. Friday: 9-4.00
If interested, please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com no later than 5PM Sept 13th, 2019
Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under the YES Accessibility policy. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
We thank all applicants; however only those selected for interviews will be contacted. YES is an equal opportunity employer.