Campaigns and Advocacy Coordinator - Scarborough Campus Students' Union
Position Title: Campaigns & Advocacy Coordinator
Department: Scarborough Campus Students' Union (SCSU)
Position Type: Full-time, 1 (one) year contract, with possibility of contract-to-permanent
Compensation: $50,000/year plus comprehensive benefits
Reports to: SCSU Executive Director
The Scarborough Campus Students’ Union (SCSU) is the not-for-profit organization that represents all Full-Time and Part-Time Undergraduate Students at the University of Toronto Scarborough (UTSC) and provides to its members a broad range of advocacy work, services and events. The Student Centre is operated by SCSU and serves as the central hub of student life and services in the UTSC community.
- A post-secondary degree.
- Current knowledge of the issues facing students in Ontario and Canada.
- Knowledge of students' unions and the representation and services provided.
- Experience working on campaigns related to equity issues.
- Demonstrated experience and skills in campaigns planning, development and implementation, including strategic planning and volunteer coordination
- Experience working from an anti-oppression framework.
- Ability to take direction and meet tight deadlines. Works well under pressure.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to prioritize multiple projects simultaneously.
- Must be able to work independently with little to no supervision.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Campaigns Coordination: development, coordination and implementation of campaigns relating to education quality and accessibility, environmental sustainability, equity and social justice and assisting with campaign coordination.
- Issues Policy and Education: assisting with the development of SCSU Policies, assistance with research for different campaigns.
- Workshops: Assist and develop workshops with Executives on various issues.
- Coalition and Solidarity Work: work with various labour unions and community organizations that share common objectives of the SCSU.
- General Work: engaging in collective office work, including general operational and day-to-day administrative responsibilities; performing additional duties as assigned.
- Petitions and Appeals: understanding the petitions and appeals processes and supporting students.
- Services Coordination: Supporting service centers such as racialized students' collective, food bank and book exchange.
- Assist the Executive Committee in increasing awareness on issues affecting post-secondary students through campaigns and programming.
- Supervise the operation of the food centre, racialized students collective, volunteer network program, book exchange and any other equity service group the Union operates.
- In conjunction with the Vice-President Equity work to implement an anti-oppression framework to the core of all SCSU programming in the interests of building an inclusive and discrimination-free environment
- Facilitate the coordination and monitoring of all SCSU campaigns, including the finance and administration.
- Responsible for advertising and overseeing promotion of campaigns through the SCSU Website and other social media platforms.
- In conjunction with the Executive Committee prepares and organizes workshops and training for student groups.
- In conjunction with the Graphic Designer, work with the SCSU Executives on marketing material for campaigns and programming.
- Monitor and supervise social media platforms for promotions and consistency
- Book rooms and pick-up supplies when requested by the Executive Director or Executive Committee
- Suggest and write issues-based policies when deemed necessary
- Support in writing press-releases, lobby documents and other publications of the SCSU
- Generally, carry out all other functions as may be required from time to time by the SCSU Executive Director
- Operate in accordance with the SCSU By-laws and Policies
- When requested to do so attend SCSU Board of Directors and Executive Committee meetings
- Protect the property of SCSU at all times
- Able to work independently or in groups with a firm understanding of SCSU and UTSC student culture.
- Approaches tasks with an innovative mind-set and positive outlook in completing goals.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and pressured environment and must be able to shift to other functions and priorities as needed.
- Open minded to the ideas suggested by students and management.
- Highly organized and able to meet demands on time.
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Work is driven, detailed and professional
For more information about SCSU, please visit our website at:
PLEASE NOTE: SCSU is an independently incorporated organization working within the University of Toronto community. This position is NOT a University of Toronto staff position.
Interested candidates should send their résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday January 18th, 2021. All applications should be received via e-mail.
The Scarborough Campus Students' Union is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from diverse communities, including: First Nations, Metis and Inuit people, racialized people, persons with disabilities, members of the queer community, lesbian, gay, bi-sexual, two-spirited or transgender people, new immigrants, and women.
We thank all who apply, but only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Telephone: 416-287-7063 Fax: 416-287-7088
Member of the Canadian Federation of Students, Local 99