Business Administrator - Heartland, A Church Connected
Part-time temporary position (3 days a week) – Effective immediately to January 31, 2022; date may be extended.
(This position is maternity leave coverage)
Heartland’s vision is to be passionately connected to God, one another, our community and the world. Our mission is to be a vibrant diverse Christ-centered family committed to seeing people in the Greater Toronto Area with excellence, responding to their needs, introducing them to a personal and maturing relationship with Jesus Christ, and ultimately mobilizing them to bear spiritual fruit at home and throughout the world. We are a church of approximately 250 attendees and the vast majority of our giving now happens online.
As a member of Heartland’s team, this role requires that you personally embrace, actively promote, and support Heartland’s mission, vision, and core values. The successful candidate will be experienced in administration, able to multi-task and work efficiently in a team environment.
The Business Administrator is responsible for cultivating a positive working relationship with the staff and the congregation. He/She is also a representative of the Lead Pastor to the congregation and community. This requires grace under pressure, the ability to manage multiple tasks and the willingness to joyfully embrace the vision and values of the greater church. A positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills are required.
This staff position is often involved in sensitive situations and the handling of privileged information which requires discretion. He/She must maintain strict confidentiality. The Business Administrator reports to the Lead Pastor.
A. General Responsibilities of all Staff
- To honour Christ in word and deed and model a theologically, spiritually and missionally vital lifestyle to the congregation
- To live a lifestyle that pursues augmenting one’s own giftedness
- To maintain and model a servant attitude
- To approach ministry with a teachable spirit and a collaborative mindset
- To attend and contribute to weekly staff meetings
Due to the regular “ebb and flow” of ministry, there will be seasons where your focus will need to shift to a specific area. The percentages mentioned below are only meant to serve as a guide.
B. Accounting – 60%
- Biweekly payroll entry through Ceridian
- Perform weekly offering count, contributions entry, posting and reporting to necessary teams
- Prepare weekly accounts payable: entry, posting and distribution
- Supervise and ensure that accurate records are kept (invoicing, contribution records, documenting discrepancies and how they have been rectified, etc.)
- Assist with preparation of the T3010 in conjunction with Norton McMullen CPA
- Prepare month-end reconciliation of bank statements, as well as preparing monthly financial updates for the Treasurer and Board of Deacons
- Regular posting of journal entries as required
- Annual audit preparation and preparation of annual financial statements
- Preparation of congregational financial reports (as delivered by the board 2-3 times per year)
- Keep finance team up to date on information pertinent to their work
- Ensure high levels of financial accountability and excellent stewardship through policy enforcement
C. Administration – 20%
- Provide Administration to the Lead Pastor through Staff Meeting Agenda preparation, calendar planning and preparing board packages.
- Maintain Membership roster and member communications, including coordination of Annual Business Meeting, Annual Reports, Deacon Nominations and other critical member updates
- Ensure that ministry team are adequately resourced with workspace, equipment and supplies
- Primary contact responsible for ChMS ACS Realm and PowerChurch Plus (these are our accounting software and church management tools)
D. Facility Management – 20%
- Manage all service agreements, suppliers and vendors supporting 1100 Canadian Place as required, including but not limited to:
- snow removal, landscaping, elevator maintenance, facility cleaners, cleaning supplies, building supplies, elevator maintenance, hydro, security systems, hospitality vendors, etc.
- Manage facility rental requests and agreements for both internal and external users
- Maintain a calendar of facility usage for ministries and coordinate space usage requests
- Be Heartland’s primary contact for outside vendors and contracts
Experience & Education
- Prior bookkeeping experience
- Prior accounts payable experience
- Training in Finance, Administration or Bookkeeping would be an asset but not required
- Familiarity with PowerChurch Plus, Realm also an asset but not required
Please forward resumes to Pastor Fraz Mirza at email@example.com
Only candidates with whom we seek an interview will be contacted.