Boarding Wellness Advisor - The Bishop Strachan School
The Bishop Strachan School (“BSS”) is an undisputed leader in girls’ education. It is within this dynamic, creative and nurturing setting that girls acquire the academic tools, the life skills and the personal confidence to become tomorrow’s leaders. BSS is a leading-edge, year-round, day and boarding school for girls, located in mid-town Toronto, with a student population of 900 JK to Grade 12 students. BSS prepares its students to meet the challenges of tomorrow’s world by focusing on the whole girl – her development in academics, athletics and the arts, as well as her emotional, spiritual and physical well-being. At BSS, girls are given the space, the encouragement and the tools to pursue all of their dreams.
To support our mission of providing our students with the best educational experience, we strive for excellence in every facet of the organization - including providing a stimulating, creative and lively work environment that attracts the best staff and faculty. We are seeking the right candidate to fill the position of:
Boarding Wellness Advisor
Part-Time – One-Year Contract
Commencing August 19, 2019
Reports to: Assistant Dean of Boarding
Summary of Position:
The Boarding Wellness Advisor (part-time) works, with the full-time Boarding staff (Assistant Dean of Boarding, Boarding Program Coordinators and Boarding Advisors), to create an welcoming environment which encourages boarders to cultivate healthy life habits, including healthy eating, and participate in a variety of fitness and wellness programs while taking responsibility for their own self-care.
Specific Accountabilities Include:
- Plans, promotes and supervises a variety of wellness programs and fitness programs for individuals and groups, and encourages boarders to participate in the activities that are offered
- Plans and delivers educational presentations on issues of physical and mental to the Boarding community as part of the Boarding Life Curriculum
- Provides appropriate interventions to assist students with school-related problems and issues and intervenes in situations where the safety and well-being of the student is compromised
- Delivers care for Boarders in an effective, non-judgemental and non-discriminatory manner that is sensitive to student diversity in the school community and that promotes and preserves student and family autonomy, dignity and rights
- Leads the Boarding Student Wellness Committee and Food Committee
- Works as an effective team member with other Boarding staff while maintaining open communication
- Assists with regular Boarding Fire Drills in conjunction with other Boarding staff when on duty
- Assists with keeping Boarding maintained as a clean and safe environment
- Notes any repairs/improvements needed for fitness areas and uses the protocol put in place for repairs
- Provides boarders with up-to-date information regarding a range of health related topics, such as nutrition, fitness, social, sleep and technology and mental well-being
- Keeps current with fitness trends and delivers knowledge through group fitness classes and one-on-one programming
- Works with the student Wellness Committee, Food Committee and Food Services to implement healthy snack options and new ideas for meals
- Maintains a monthly calendar, highlighting the weekly fitness centre hours, scheduled group workouts and offsite wellness activities and tracks participation
- Works with full-time boarding staff to ensure that the overall well-being of the boarders is met
- Monitors the progress of students working on goals on a regular basis and document the process
- Collaborates with other professionals, both on and offsite, to meet Boarding student health, development and educational needs, within a team structure
- Commits to the Staff Growth and Evaluation Process
- Performs other duties as assigned
Skills, Experience and Attributes Include:
- Relevant experience working with students from Grades 8-12
- Minimum university degree/college diploma in Education or a related field
- Child and Youth Studies, Kinesiology or Social Work background is an asset
- Current CPR, First AID including AED Certification
- Current Personal Training Certification (or willingness to obtain prior to start date)
- Experience training and developing individual fitness and group programs for adolescents
- Demonstrated understanding and analysis of health maintenance and promotion, leadership concepts and research methodology as applied to adolescents in a Boarding setting
- Employs counselling techniques and crisis intervention strategies with individuals and groups as appropriate
- Excellent communication skills
- Flexible, energetic and enthusiastic
- Demonstrated knowledge of the philosophy and mission of the school, the purpose of its activities, its programmes and special services and how this relates to the Boarding Wellness program
Terms and Conditions:
Hours: 12 hours per week
Two days per week 6:00 - 9:30 pm and one weekend day 10:00 - 3:00 pm
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to Human Resources at The Bishop Strachan School by email to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating Boarding Wellness Advisor position in the subject line.
We thank all candidates in advance.
We will, however, contact only those selected for an interview.
We believe that diversity in our school fosters a rich, inclusive and creative environment.
We are actively engaged in building a more diverse school
and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.
Visit us at www.bss.on.ca