Boarding Health Advisor - The Bishop Strachan School
Internationally acclaimed for its unique environment and expertise in the particular learning needs of girls, The Bishop Strachan School (BSS) has built a reputation over its long history as an undisputed leader in education. Offering a challenging, lively and creative atmosphere, a roster of uniquely qualified faculty and staff, and an inspiring campus featuring a spectacular science and arts wing, BSS inspires each student to find her passion, pursue her dreams and reach her potential through a rigorous academic program.
Helping students become smart, independent, compassionate young women, BSS provides the tools, technology and innovation required to thrive in post-secondary pursuits and beyond. Our unique whole girl approach, commitment to excellence and embodiment of strong values create a profound and powerful learning environment within a supportive, engaged community.
To support our mission of providing our students with the best educational experience, we strive for excellence in every facet of the organization - including providing a stimulating, creative and lively work environment that attracts the best staff and faculty. We are seeking the right candidates to fill the position of:
LIVE - IN
Boarding Health Advisor
One Year Contact
Dean of Boarding
Indirectly Reports to:
Wellness Centre Nurses
Boarding Program Coordinators
Summary of Position:
The Boarding Health Advisor (BHA) assists in providing a safe, healthy, and supportive residential environment for our Boarding community. This live-in position is responsible for leading, as well as, providing health support for the operational needs of the Boarding community during COVID-19. The BHA position involves a very high degree of interaction with all members of the Boarding community, participating in routine supervision of all boarders in conjunction with other Boarding staff. This innovative and unique position was created to support the enhanced Health & Safety measures in place as the safety and well-being of our Boarding community is our top priority.
Specific Accountabilities Include:
- Regularly updates Dean of Boarding, Wellness Center Nurses and the Boarding Program Co-ordinators on matters pertaining to health and wellness
- Adheres to the policies and procedures of the school’s vision, mission and values and the Boarding Program (as outlined in the Boarding Handbook, Boarding Health & Safety Plan, BSS Code of Conduct)
- Takes comprehensive care of all boarders and when necessary, provides Isolation Care for probable or confirmed case of COVID-19
- Monitors and facilitates Boarding Community adherence to BSS health and safety procedures through educational presentations as part of the Boarding Life Curriculum
- Implements Infection Prevention and Control Practices including screening and use of PPE
- Assists the Boarding staff to ensure the health, safety and wellbeing of boarders including;
- carrying out shifts in the Boarding Office
- updating daily logs and reports
- executing various safety, and attendance rounds, including supervising meals
- administering first aid and escorting students to medical clinics and the hospital
- Supervises students’ in the Fitness Centre
- Delivers care in a non-judgmental and non-discriminatory manner and advocates for students while protecting and promoting their privacy and confidentiality
- Active member of the defibrillator team, first responder to emergencies in the school and assists with regular Crisis Management Drills in conjunction with other Boarding staff
- Remains flexible and undertakes other responsibilities, in a variety of circumstances, as may reasonably be required by the Dean of Boarding
- Participates in Professional Learning and contributes to the department’s body of knowledge
- Commits to the Staff Growth and Evaluation Process
- Performs other duties as assigned
Skills, Experience and Attributes Include:
- Minimum 1-3 years related experience working with young and adolescent girls, preferably in an community living setting or camping environment
- Relevant health qualifications (e.g. PSW, HCA, Nurse Practitioner, Paramedic, etc)
- Current Standard First Aid, CPR, and AED
- Mandarin or Spanish would be beneficial
- Experience in the field working with individuals managing health issues, physical and medical support needs in the community, or an equivalent combination
- Experience in medication administration and a willingness to support individuals in Isolation Care as required
- Dynamic team player with the proven ability to take initiative, be a leader, manage projects, multi-task, work under pressure, manage crisis situation, problem-solve and handle confidential information
- Personal training, fitness certification, and/or Red Cross/ NLS certifications are an asset
- Strong interpersonal skills in order to communicate with students, parents and staff
- Proficient computer skills in Microsoft Office, Blackbaud, Google Cloud Platform
- Flexibility and a sense of humour
- Demonstrated interest in and commitment to participation in school life
- A warm, caring rapport with students
Terms and Conditions:
The position begins ASAP and ends June 18, 2021 - Full-time, 10 month live-in position.
- Full time hours which include various times (days/evenings) during week plus every weekend (Saturdays and Sundays from 3:00 to 11:00 pm)
- Includes accommodation and meals in the compensation package
- Will be required to work school administrative days and/or holidays
- Sleeps on-site when on duty (10 of the 14 days during each two-week period). The schedule, prepared by the Dean of Boarding, is composed of various day/evening/overnight/weekend and Holiday shifts.
- Must remain available for emergency on-call support
- Some planning, parent contact, and school/Boarding events fall outside the standard schedule as do the start and end of year.
Accommodation: a furnished apartment (suitable for one person only) is provided within the Boarding school. Guests (including overnight guests) are not allowed when Boarding is in session due to the location of the apartment. The apartment and meals are provided as a taxable benefit. Pets are not permitted.
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to Human Resources at The Bishop Strachan School by email to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating Boarding Health Advisor position in the subject line.
We thank all candidates in advance.
We will, however, contact only those selected for an interview.
We believe that diversity in our School fosters a rich, inclusive and creative environment.
We are actively engaged in building a more diverse school
and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.
Visit us at www.bss.on.ca