Board of Directors and Treasurer - Rideau-Ottawa Valley Learning Network - Rideau-Ottawa Valley Learning Network
Board of Directors and Treasurer
The mission of the Rideau-Ottawa Valley Learning Network (ROVLN) is to support, promote and strengthen adult literacy services through communication, research and public education. ROVLN has served and supported the adult literacy community since 1984. We are a non-profit, charitable organization providing information and referral services, professional development and service planning to literacy programs in Ottawa and the counties of Renfrew, Lanark and Prescott-Russell. ROVLN receives funding from the provincial and federal governments, memberships, donations and fundraising.
The ROVLN Board of Directors provides governance and policy support to the Executive Director. The current Board of Directors is composed of people who are committed to promoting and strengthening literacy and essential skills services. Directors and the Treasurer typically serve a two-year renewable term.
1) We are searching for new Directors. This is a rewarding experience for anyone with human resources, education, business or policy experience.
Roles and Responsibilities of Directors:
- Prepare for and participate in board meetings. Meetings are from 3:30 – 5:30 pm in May, September, December and March.
- Review all agenda items and associated documents in advance of meetings
- Listen to others’ views, advocate their own, identify common interests and alternatives, and be open to compromise
- Support board decisions once made
- Participate in the regular review of ROVLN’s Mission, Vision, Values, bylaws and policies and in the development of a strategic plan
- Help the board monitor ROVLN’s performance against deliverables
- Participate in the approval the annual budget and monitor ROVLN’s financial performance
- Participate in the hiring of, and if required, the releasing of, the Executive Director (ED)
- Participate in the ED’s annual performance review
- Identify prospective board members and help recruit them
- Participate in the evaluation of the board itself (annual board self-evaluation)
- Contribute to the work of board as a member of at least one board committee
- Attend and participate in the Annual General Meeting in June
- Keep informed about community issues relevant to ROVLN
- Attend ROVLN events
2) We are searching for a new Treasurer. This is an ideal opportunity for a recently-retired CA or CGA.
Roles and Responsibilities of the Treasurer:
- Review monthly financial statements and report to the Board
- Attend regular board meetings four times a year in May, September, December and March. Meetings take place from 3:30 pm to 5:30 pm.
- Attend the Annual General Meeting in June
- Review the draft operating budget for the next fiscal year with the Executive Director before presenting it to the Board
- Ensure that an audit is done annually and present the results first to the Board and then to the general membership at the Annual General Meeting
- Act as a liaison between the Board and the auditors, as required
- Act as a signing officer
- Training and extensive experience in financial management as a CA or a CGA
- Experience in the non-profit, charitable sector would be an asset
- Available to attend five meetings per year during the day
How do I apply?
If you are interested in applying for this volunteer position, please submit your resume and a covering letter to Lisa Ambaye, Executive Director of ROVLN firstname.lastname@example.org