Board Member - Women's Para Hockey of Canada/Parahockey feminin du Canada
Women’s Para Hockey of Canada is looking for new dynamic and self-motivated volunteers to join a national level board of directors. Our organization’s vision involves enabling Canadian girls and women+ with disabilities to achieve long term participation and sporting excellence in para ice hockey with a sustainable program nationally.
Our mission is to contribute to the health and well-being of girls and women+ with disabilities by developing, promoting and providing opportunities to participate in the sport of para hockey from grassroots development to an elite level throughout Canada. Through sport, develop an environment and attitude that promotes inclusion, collaboration, teamwork, self-efficacy, and gender parity, while educating and empowering girls and women+.
WPHC is currently seeking volunteers to serve on the Board of Directors of our growing and dynamic organization. All interested parties are welcomed; however, preference will be given to applicants with experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Law, Policies and Procedures
- Communications, Marketing
- Finances, Accounting
- Event Planning
- Lived Experience
Additional qualifications that will be an asset to join our talented and dedicated Board include:
- Professional experience with executive leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, or the non-profit sector
- A commitment to human rights, accessibility, inclusion and the advancement of women and girls+ in sport.
- Savvy diplomatic skills, creativity and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of WPHC’s members.
- Our organization is Bilingual (French/English) and aims to recruit bilingual candidates for these positions
BENEFITS & RECOGNITION As a WPHC Board member you will be given the opportunity to give back to the Not-for-Profit sector, to develop and build professional skills and experience, to strengthen your governance and leadership skills; expand your network and learn from your peers and share your expertise and passion for making a difference.
POSITION The Board will support the work of Women's Para Hockey of Canada and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. Day-to-day operations are led by the WPHC Board of Directors and the President of the organization. The appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected.
SPECIFIC BOARD MEMBER RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE: LEADERSHIP, GOVERNANCE AND OVERSIGHT
- Assisting with the development and implementation of WPHC’s strategic plan
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by WPHC for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics; reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings,
- Approving WPHCs annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities.
- Partnering with the board chair and other board members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out
- Serving on committees or task forces and taking on special assignments as appropriate
- Representing WPHC to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization
- Ability to devote sufficient time and energy to the performance of duties as a Director (2-4 hours per month outside of meeting time)
- Willingness to fundraise
- Demonstrated integrity, high ethical standards and respect of privacy and confidentiality
- Commitment to a diverse board that reflects the community WPHC serves
WPHC’s Board Members will serve a two-year term, following the delivery of the AGM. Board meetings will be held monthly and committee meetings will be held in coordination with full board meetings.
NUMBER OF BOARD MEMBERS REQUIRED: 1-2
APPROXIMATE POSITION START DATE: SEPTEMBER 22, 2020
APPROXIMATE POSITION END DATE: SEPTEMBER 2022
TIME & DAY OF VOLUNTEER ENGAGEMENT Evenings, Weekends, and Occasional Weekday Events
- All meetings will be delivered remotely
- The volunteer may work from home or online
QUALIFICATIONS This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about accessibility, inclusion, and para-sport and who has a track record of board leadership or an interest in helping to make a difference. Selected Board Members do not need a para-sport background but may have been involved in leadership, government, fundraising, or the non-profit sector. We are an inclusive and supportive board and we value diverse perspectives and lived experiences especially related to accessibility and inclusion.
Service on WPHC’s Board of Directors is without remuneration.
Other Information and Requirements Women’s Para Hockey of Canada is a registered Canadian Amateur Athletic Association (RCAAA) and was incorporated under the Canada Not-for-Profit Corporations Act on July 1, 2014. The organization has Commercial General Liability Insurance in addition to Directors and Officers Liability Insurance. All prospective board members will be subject to a criminal record check and asked to sign a confidentiality agreement as part of the recruitment/selection process.
For more information or to apply, please contact Janice Coulter at email@example.com Application deadline is AUGUST 20, 2020.