Board Member - Canadian Mental Health Association - Mid Island
The Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA) Mid-Island Branch is seeking qualified persons to join its volunteer Board of Directors. We are looking for individuals whose skills, passion, and experience align with the vision, mission, and values of CMHA.
- Our Vision: Mentally healthy people in a healthy society.
(Defines the overall outcome that we are working towards)
- Our Mission: As the nationwide leader and champion for mental health, CMHA facilitates access to the resources people require to maintain and improve mental health and community integration, build resilience, and support recovery from mental illness.
(Describes our purpose and unique contribution.)
- Our Key Values and Principles
- Embracing the voice of people with mental health issues
- Promoting inclusion
- Working collaboratively
- Influencing the social determinants of health (e.g. housing, justice)
- Focusing on the mental health needs of all age groups
- Using evidence to inform our work
- Being transparent and accountable
EXPECTED COMMITMENT FROM BOARD MEMBERS:
• Attend Board meetings – 6 to 8 per year/ 120-minute meetings, plus preparation
• Participate in at least one Committee of the Board (HR/Governance, Finance, or Strategic Planning) – up to 12 per year/ 120-minute meetings, plus preparation and related projects
• Participate as able in ad hoc committees and special projects
• Attend annual general meeting and any special general meetings
• Contribute expertise regarding governance and administrative oversight and activities, including financial oversight, strategic planning, policy, risk management, and community outreach
• Become a CMHA ambassador and encourage others to learn about and become involved in CMHA’s mission and activities through communication, positive social responses, volunteerism and fundraising
• Attend community events in support of CMHA
• Directors shall hold office for a term of 2 years and shall be eligible for re-election for two further 2 year terms.
THE BOARD RECRUITMENT COMMITTEE IS PARTICULARLY INTERESTED IN CANDIDATES WITH THE FOLLOWING KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE, AND EXPERTISE:
• Policy knowledge, familiarity with Board governance and human resources
• Business, finance, law
• Mental health, fundraising
We are most interested in those with a background in policy, Board governance and/or human resources to join as either a community member or Board member willing to sit on the Governance and Human Resources Committee.
Applicants must submit:
- A résumé / CV
- A letter of interest describing relevant skills, experience and personal attributes
Applications will be reviewed by the Board Recruitment Committee.
Selected candidates will be notified and interviewed. References will be checked.
The Board Recruitment Committee will make recommendations for each open board position to the full Board.
Successful candidates may be invited to in-fill current vacancies; other successful candidates will be nominated at CMHA’s annual general meeting being held in October, 2020
FOR MORE INFORMATION AND TO SUBMIT AN APPLICATION, PLEASE CONTACT: Kimberly Swiss, Board President, email@example.com