Board Director - Hospice Toronto
Hospice Toronto is currently seeking new members to join the Board of Directors. This is a volunteer position and we request a minimum commitment of 3 years to provide optimal support to the organization.
About Hospice Toronto
Started over 30 years ago, Hospice Toronto is Toronto’s first volunteer and community-based, not for profit, in-home hospice palliative care program. Since 1988, Hospice Toronto has served over 12,481 clients (directly impacting the lives of over 60,000 people). By providing and advancing compassionate care and leadership in the volunteer-based, home hospice community, Hospice Toronto has become a recognized leader in providing high-quality, hospice care and support for people through all phases of their life-limiting illness, and their loved ones, at no charge. Hospice Toronto also provides support programs for children as well as bereavement support. Most recently, the Hospice is involved with a new initiative in Toronto to provide care and shelter to homeless people urgently needing end-of-life and palliative care.
The Board of Directors is the governance body of Hospice Toronto. Working collaboratively with the Chief Executive Officer, the Board is actively involved in setting strategic priorities and goals. They provide high-level oversight for the organization to be successful in achieving its vision and mission. Board committee meetings are generally held bi-monthly at Hospice Toronto's offices in Toronto. Directors are requested to make a commitment of 3 years after which they may express interest in continuing for a second consecutive term for a maximum of 6 years. There are also various Board committees which meet regularly to support the Board and the organization. Board members are expected to serve on a Board committee.
Ideal candidates would have:
- Senior management and governance experience
- Strategy and policy development experience
- Previous charity or not for profit board or committee experience
- Knowledge of the palliative or health care industry or passion for helping those most vulnerable
- Willing to be an ambassador or advocate of the organization to assist in raising profile and funds
- A strategic and open mindset coupled with a sense of urgency to get things done
- Team-player with ability to participate & contribute in a variety of different initiatives
- Strong leadership and management skills
- Able to work with others in an effective and respectful manner
- Able to communicate effectively, leading informed discussions with the Board
- Philanthropy and fund-raising knowledge considered an asset
Ideal Professional backgrounds include:
- Finance with CPA designation • Legal background with charity experience • Board Governance
- Strategic Planning •Philanthropy/Fund Development •Marketing Public Health Care •HR
To express interest in this position, send an email including your CV and one reference to: firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information on Hospice Toronto visit www.hospicetoronto.ca.