Behavioural Personal Support Worker - LOFT Community Services
LOCATION: Serving hospitals and assisted living sites within geographical boundaries of the Toronto Central LHIN
LOFT Community Services is a unique and dynamic charitable organization that supports people living with complicated issues such as mental and physical health challenges, substance abuse, poverty and homelessness. Serving over 5300 people and providing 1654 units of supportive housing last year, LOFT is one of Ontario’s largest mental health service providers of its kind. In 2018 LOFT was a Nonprofit Employer of Choice™ Award (NEOC) recipient.
To help fulfill its mission, LOFT is hiring a Behavioural Personal Support Worker.
The Behavioural Support Transition Resource Team serves hospital and community settings within the Toronto Central LHIN and plays a key role in the early identification, assessment and stabilization of patients with cognitive and/or responsive behaviours who are Alternative Level of Care (ALC) or have a potential to become ALC. The Personal Support Worker will work with a Case Manager to assist in the successful transition of patients from hospital or assisted living sites designated for ALC patients within the TC LHIN to their next care destination. The Personal Support Worker will also implement and evaluate behaviour strategies post-transition to ensure that they are tailored to the new living environment.
Note: Staff may be required to work in a person’s own home and may therefore be exposed to second hand smoke. Occasional evening and weekend hours may be required. Frequent travel will be required using own vehicle or TTC.
- Completion of a post-secondary education in Human Services (i.e. Personal Support Worker Certificate, Registered Practical Nurse Certificate);
- A minimum of 2 years experience with vulnerable, older adults and seniors with serious mental illness, cognitive and addiction challenges who exhibit responsive behaviours;
- Knowledge of GPA, P.I.E.C.E.S., U-First, Montessori Methods or willingness to receive such training;
- Sound understanding or and commitment to the principles of the Behavioural Supports Services;
- Knowledge and proven experience working with clients in a PSR (Psychosocial Rehabilitation) approach;
- Ability to organize and work with individuals and groups in the areas of assessment, problem solving and crisis management;
- Ability to interact with clients, family and caregivers, other health care professionals in a positive and supportive manner;
- Physically able to perform demanding body mechanics (i.e. lifting, transferring, etc.)
- First Aid and CPR certification;
- Good oral and written skills; excellent computer skills; ability to follow written and verbal instructions;
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment;
- Demonstrated effectiveness working with minimal supervision with proven reliability and trustworthiness;
- Valid drivers’ license and access to own vehicle is required; must meet the requirements of LOFT Community Services – Personal Vehicle Usage Policy.
- Understanding of cultural competency and anti-oppression framework;
- Reflective of a multi-barriered group, as serviced by the program, a strong asset
TO APPLY: Send resume with cover letter to Human Resources,
LOFT Community Services is committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment and dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live and serve. LOFT is committed to making employment opportunities accessible in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005. Upon request, accommodation will be provided in all parts of the application and hiring process.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (416) 979-1994 to discuss your accommodation requirements.
PLEASE INCLUDE: “BPSW - TORONTO” in the subject line of any emails.
CLOSING DATE: November 24, 2020