Associate Director Philanthropy Major Gifts & Planned Gifts - St. Michael's Hospital
We hear it again and again. From patients. From physicians. From nurses. From donors. There’s a spirit of relentlessness at St. Michaels Hospital. It’s a never-say-no attitude, a willingness to go beyond. It’s why St. Michaels is legendary for taking on some of the world’s toughest health challenges. It’s why we are leaders in so many areas of medicine: multiple sclerosis, cystic fibrosis, ophthalmology, critical care, trauma, minimally-invasive cardiac care, neurosurgery, urban health, neonatal care, and the list goes on. St. Michael’s has a unique attitude that cuts across every department, and it is ever-present at St. Michael’s Hospital Foundation.
By joining St. Michael’s Hospital Foundation now, you will be joining a team of powerful, relentless, compassionate fundraisers who are ushering in the next era of medical innovation and discovery. At St. Michaels Hospital, can’t is not in our vocabulary.
The Associate Director, Philanthropy – Major & Planned Gifts will focus on managing donor identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship activities and support campaign volunteers to activate their relationships to support St. Michael’s Hospital. In addition to managing a portfolio of new and existing donors, the Associate Director will provide overall leadership and project management for key hospital priorities within the new campaign, serving as a priority lead and collaborating with other Foundation colleagues to develop opportunities and strategies to engage donors.
This position works closely and collaboratively with a dynamic philanthropy team in the rollout of effective and sustainable programs to achieve targets and other agreed financial and non-financial goals for this vital portfolio for St. Michael's.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop an understanding of the educational, research, clinical and financial needs and goals of SMH.
- Engage regularly with Hospital leadership, physicians and staff to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward major gift donors.
- Liaise with annual, virtual experiences and community giving team members to ensure that major and planned giving fundraising is coordinated with their initiatives.
- Liaise with communications staff to develop campaign materials, proposals, stewardship reports and tailored communications to donors.
- Liaise with prospect researcher and the operations team to identify prospects that are appropriate matches for priority areas and that all processes are well-managed internally.
- Provide input around major gift and gift planning fundraising that can be incorporated into the overall SMHF Philanthropy Plan.
- Work with colleagues to plan and execute proposals, and targeted communications for current and potential major gift donors.
- Work at the strategic level with the Directors of Philanthropy – Major & Planned Gifts and VP Philanthropy – Strategy & Campaigns on raising funds to support the highest priority needs of the hospital’s comprehensive campaign.
- Participate actively in the moves management process and work with Board Members and other volunteers to initiate the most appropriate solicitations based on the needs of both St. Michael’s Hospital and donor interests.
- Manage a group of 60-100 potential donors at varying stages of identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship using a focused and accountable approach of strategy development and implementation.
- Participate in generating revenue for the Foundation that ranges at a minimum of $3-5 million annually.
- Lead development and execution of a portfolio of major gifts and pledges focusing on gifts of $500,000 to $1 million+.
- Present planned gift opportunities to donors in combination with major gift approaches.
- Support senior Foundation leadership staff and volunteers in the development and execution of major gifts and pledges for donors with the capacity to give $1million+.
- Identify potential donors and develop strategies to solicit those prospects and steward their gifts, including the development of written materials such as cases for support, proposals, and scripts.
- Solicit prospects face-to-face and effectively articulate in written and verbal communications the mission and impact of the hospital to deepen relationships with donors, prospects and high-level supporters.
- Ensure all donor information is accurately recorded in Raisers Edge and the shared drive in an accurate and timely fashion.
- Manage relationships with relevant board and committee members involving staff and volunteer leaders as appropriate.
- Lead a group of senior level external volunteers to raise funds for approved priorities and program areas for the campaign and the hospital.
- Work with Vice President, Philanthropy – Strategy & Campaigns and Directors of Philanthropy to identify new programs, potential campaign volunteers, and other key leaders.
- Identify, cultivate and solicit, with the assistance of key board members and volunteers where appropriate, those persons able to make gifts to the hospital.
- Assist in the preparation of an annual plan of measurable goals and strategies (including precise and practical deadlines), to maximize major gifts from individuals, corporations and foundation for Foundation priorities.
- Prepare activity reports (including names of prospects/donors to recruit/visit, cultivate, solicit, steward).
- Work as a team player promoting a positive and professional work environment and conduct role with integrity and respect.
- Act as an Ambassador throughout the Community, positively representing the Hospital and the Foundation.
- Abide by the policies and procedures of SMH and SMF.
- Abide by the Occupational Health and Safety Act, and work in a manner that is safe, reporting incidents immediately to direct supervisor.
- Perform other duties as assigned in order to meet the overall goals and objectives of the Foundation.
- Operate within the culture and core values of the organization.
- A university degree or a combination of comparable skills and experience.
- Must have a minimum of 10 years of experience working in fundraising or equivalent experience with at least 5-7 of those years as a senior fundraiser in major gift fundraising with a proven track record in cultivation and solicitation.
- Demonstrated leadership and the ability to successfully manage multiple priorities and diverse areas.
- Ability to initiate, analyze, monitor, evaluate and alter strategic fundraising and stewardship plans.
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- Experience in creating and presenting compelling proposals to donors.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and very strong person to person relationship-building skills.
- Ability to work with senior leaders, physicians, and other foundations effectively and collaboratively.
- Basic understanding of healthcare delivery system in Ontario.
- Ability to attain financial and program goals within prescribed timelines.
- Experience working with senior volunteers and volunteer committees/boards in a wide range of capacities.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to prioritize multiple and changing demands.
- Proven ability to exercise diplomacy and good judgment.
- Keen understanding of current finance and accounting principles in the not-for-profit sector.
- Exemplary attention to detail with excellent planning, organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to work independently using an above average level of initiative.
- Proficient in the use of all corporate productivity tools including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Internet Explorer as well as Raiser’s Edge or other donor database management systems.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrated commitment to and understanding of the mission and values of St. Michael’s Hospital and the Foundation.
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends.