Assistant Superintendent - The Salvation Army
The Salvation Army is an international Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible; its ministry is motivated by love for God and the needs of humanity.
The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world.
The Salvation Army Canada and Bermuda has four core values:
Hope: We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Service: We reach out to support others without discrimination.
Dignity: We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
Stewardship: We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.
Position Purpose Summary
The Assistant Superintendent position is live in and includes a one bedroom apartment with parking and cable tv. The Assistance Superintendent, reporting to the Superintendent, is responsible to provide day-to-day maintenance, cleaning and grounds keeping duties to ensure the property is safe, clean and well maintained as well as providing alternate weekend on-call duties.
- Accept day-to-day instructions from the Superintendent;
- Live on-site in order to respond to emergencies on an on-call basis;
- Keep the exterior of the housing complex clean, tidy, safe and in good repair;
- Keep the lawns and gardens attractive through appropriate care;
- Keep the underground garage clean and attractive;
- Report any problems or items requiring repair and/or maintenance that he/she notices during execution of his/her duties.
- Safely store and maintain all related equipment and supplies in the appropriate storage spaces provided.
- Attend meetings and training sessions related to the Workplace Health and Safety Committee.
- Daily remove garbage and recycling from bins on P1 and P2
- Remove paper, litter and other refuse from the P1 and P2 underground garages.
- Vacuum all corridors once per week.
- Clean the Garbage room once per week.
- Sweep and mop stairwells as required to keep them clean at all times.
- Clean out the elevator tracks as required to prevent obstructions to elevator doors.
- Assist the Superintendent with contractor supervision and other work when required.
- Clean up paper, litter and other refuse from the project site.
- Sweep/clean sidewalks, parking areas and driveways once per week, or as often as necessary to have them clean at all times. Maintain boulevards where applicable; eg. water the grass and remove litter.
- Keep entrance sidewalks/walkways clear of snow and ice (shoveled or snow blower); apply ice-melter as required.
- Clean exterior ground floor windows, glass doors, etc., at entrances and exterior doors.
- Keep the third floor terrace clean, tidy and in good repair.
- Miscellaneous minor maintenance, e.g. ensuring that exterior light fixtures are equipped with operable bulbs, cleaning of outside benches/picnic tables, patio furniture, etc.
- Paint/stain outside benches, fences, posts, curbs and driveways as needed.
- Perform light maintenances duties in underground garages such as changing lights, applying oil absorbents and sweeping ramps.
- Wash garbage, recycling and organics bins as required; put out garbage and recycling bins when required.
Landscaping and Gardening
- Mow and trim lawns, rake grass and leaves as needed
- Weed and cultivate flowerbeds; trim bushes, shrubs and trees as needed.
- Maintain the outdoor grounds to a standard required by the Superintendent.
- Respond to all emergencies and monitor the emergency phone when on-call. Call police, fire or ambulance if required.
- If off the property, on-call staff are required to return to the property due to an emergency: within one hour or less depending on the
- severity of the need; the response time for serious emergencies such as fire, major flood, serious incident must be less than 20 minutes.
- Perform non-emergency services such as putting the elevator on service for a scheduled move
- or delivery, opening and closing and inspecting the Recreation room for a scheduled booking.
- Respond to maintenance requests which require immediate attention such as fire, flood, lack of heat, plugged toilet, etc.
- Perform a patrol at 11:00 p.m. to ensure all doors are secure, garbage bins are not full, and no unauthorized persons are on the premises.
- Write detailed incident reports and on-call reports, and report serious occurrences immediately to the Superintendent or Property Manager.
- Assist the Superintendent and Property Manager in inspections of the project when required.
- Assist in setting up for building events and functions.
- Undertake any other assignments requested by the Property Manager which is compatible with this job description.
- Upon request by the Property Manager, the Maintenance Staff will cooperate with and assist resident committees.
- All Maintenance Staff are required to attend and assist with any serious emergency on a 24-hour basis; including fire alarms, major floods, major disturbances, etc. when in the building.
- The Assistant Superintendent will normally work Monday to Friday 8 am to 12 noon
- Reporting directly to the Superintendent, the incumbent will be responsible for the maintenance of a 12 story hi-rise apartment building,
- On on-call duty every other weekend (from Friday 5.00 pm – Monday 8 am). Occasional changes may be required or requested depending on circumstances or needs. The Assistant Superintendent will receive a day off in the week prior to being on-call.
Qualifications and Education requirements:
- Completion of a high school diploma
- Knowledge of managing high rise building is an asset
- Minimum 1 year of relevant experience
- Should possess a caring and positive attitude
- Friendly, caring and approachable
- Customer focused and ability to work with wide demographic including seniors
- Good communication skills which includes ability to narrate an incident
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Ability to work within the mandate of and embrace the mission of The Salvation Army
Successful candidates, prior to hiring, may be required to provide:
- Background check consent
Applications Accepted By:
Fax or E-mail:
(416) 422-6352 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Attention: Employee Relations Department
Please no phone calls.
Employee Relations Department
2 Overlea Boulevard, Toronto, Ontario, M4H 1P4
Please include the competition # 19-058 in the subject line of your email.
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.