Assistant Program Director - posAbilities
Assistant Program Director
Position Type: Full-Time, Permanent
Location: Greater Vancouver Lower Mainland, British Columbia
Compensation: Competitive salary with excellent extended health and dental benefits after probationary period.
Who are We?
posAbilities is a large not-for-profit social service organization that provides a full spectrum of community-based services for individuals with developmental disabilities. We are a progressive agency and are strongly committed to full community inclusion of those who live with disabilities.
We welcome applicants with extensive experience in Community Support and Residential Care.
Under the direction and guidance of the Program Director, the Assistant Program Director ensures that programs and services are meeting acceptable standards of delivery. The Assistant Program Director is responsible for the management of diverse programs and services. The Assistant Program Director is a member of the management and administrative team and is expected to work collaboratively as a team member to achieve strategic organizational objectives.
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS
- An undergraduate degree social work, psychology, business management or a related discipline or a combination
- Class 5 driver’s license; acceptable Driver’s Abstract
- Three to five years progressively more responsible program management experience in the Community Living sector
- Commitment to ongoing quality improvement and mindset
- Commitment to the philosophy of people with challenges living and working in the community
- Knowledge and commitment to the principles of accreditation as demonstrated through CARF standards
- A demonstrated and working knowledge of government legislation/policy and other government frameworks and systems related to social services and health care such as Licensing, CLBC, MCFD, Adult Guardianship, Public Trustee, BC Housing, WorkSafeBC
- A demonstrated and working knowledge of information technology and financial management (including developing and reviewing operational budgets)
- Demonstrated ability to work with teams in a unionized environment
- Emphasis on servant and transformational leadership, self-initiative, patience, maturity and tact
- Excellent oral, written, facilitation and interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrated teamwork, leadership and supervisory skills
- Understanding of organizational change management and its applicability within the non-profit sector
- Demonstrated ability to coach and mentor employees to maximize their performance
- Understanding of innovation and its barriers, and the ability to introduce new ideas into ongoing service design and improvement
- Well-developed planning, risk management, organization, administrative skills and critical thinking
- Ability to develop and implement methods supporting Quality Assurance
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and liaise with families, professionals and funders
- Commitment to the Association’s Code of Ethics, Values, Vision and Mission Statement
- Reliable vehicle is required, $3,000,000 liability insurance
- Criminal Record Check for Children and Vulnerable Adults – Clearance.
HOURS OF WORK
- This position requires a flexible schedule, participation in meetings and conferences, may involve long work days, and /or evening and weekend work based on program and staff needs.
Human Resources and Supervision
- Contributes to the supervision of Team Managers in their assigned programs/services and ensures they are meeting the requirements of their respective job responsibilities.
- In conjunction with the Program Director advises Team Managers on performance management of the teams and individual employees, where applicable.
- Monitor recruitment needs and support Team Managers in maintaining adequate staffing levels.
- Participates in the hiring and recruitment process.
- Contributes to the performance management of Team Managers.
- Monitors the utilization and quality of performance management tools.
- Advises the Program Director and/or HR Director on the discharge of employees in accordance with the Association’s policies and collective agreement.
- Ensures that all teams operate within the framework of the Association’s Code of Ethics and Mission Statement.
- In collaboration with the Program Director and HR Director, contributes to maintaining effective Labour Relations.
Program and Service Management
- In conjunction with the Program Director, ensures compliance with accreditation standards in Programs/Services.
- In conjunction with the Program Director liaises with CLBC Facilitators/Analysts and other professionals as required.
- In conjunction with the Program Director ensures effective program/service delivery consistent with posAbilities’ mandate and policy, legal, contractual, budgetary and other obligations.
- Participates in all aspects of the Health and Safety Program including safety and emergency procedures, in order to provide a safe work environment. Reports all concerns to the Program Director.
- Guides and supports Team Managers with investigations as per policy and procedure.
Management and Development
- In conjunction with the Program Director participates in the development and accountability/control mechanisms in accordance with the Association’s policies.
- In keeping with the Association’s strategic considerations, may be responsible for the development of program proposals.
- Monitors the implementation of the Operational Plan for Programs/Services in order to advance the Strategic Vision.
- Identifies opportunities for innovation and strategic growth.
- Generates and reviews ShareVision reports to monitor program outcomes.
- Contributes to the development and review of policy/procedure.
- Coordinates and participates in committees and/or workgroups to further development.
- In conjunction with the Program Director identifies training needs and contributes to the development of Association training plans.
- Works collaboratively with Team Managers to develop and contribute to RFPs and grant proposals.
- In conjunction with the Program Director, monitors and maximizes program/service budgets and financial plans.
- Liaises with Human Resources, Innovation, Finance, Administration and Communications as required.
Mentoring, Guidance, Support
- Supports and guides Team Managers in the management of their Programs/Services in keeping with the Association’s strategic considerations.
- Provides coaching to Team Managers.
- Supports and guides Team Managers with operational development of new Programs/Services.
- May provide training to staff members.
- In conjunction with the Program Director, motivates and supports Team Managers in achieving programs objectives, effective case planning and management and accountability to all clients supported.
Communication –External & Internal
- Develops and maintains effective and productive relationships with funders, stakeholders and with other community resources.
- Communicates and promotes the Association’s services.
- Represents and promotes the Association at community events and other functions.
- Communicates with others within the framework of the Association’s Code of Ethics, Vision, Values and Mission Statement.
- Attends, supports and participates in program meetings and initiatives.
This position requires the ability to function independently and frequently under pressure. The ability to effectively resolve and manage stressful and emergency crisis situations is also an ongoing expectation.
Interested parties please apply with your resume and cover letter via our website at www.posAbilities.ca/careers or via email! Please note, while we would like to connect with everyone interested in this position, only applicants chosen for interviews will be contacted.
To ensure health and safety of our employees and persons served, posAbilities is in full compliance with WorkSafe pandemic safety protocols. We provide personal protective equipment and practice physical distancing wherever possible at all work sites.