Assistant Camp Director - Evergreen
Evergreen is currently seeking to add an Assistant Camp Director to its seasonal Children’s Program Team. This individual is a content expert and an extraordinary administrator who provides the backbone of Evergreen Adventure Camp, ensuring a rich, experiential play and learning environment for participants. Our Assistant Camp Director contributes to the overall success of Evergreen Adventure Camp and supports a mentoring culture focused on healthy risk taking, connecting with nature in a hands on way – and having lots of fun!
Evergreen is a national not-for-profit helping make cities flourish. Cities that are low carbon, inclusive to all and sustainable at their core.
For more than 25 years, Evergreen has been making Canadian cities better places to move, work, live, play and grow. We’ve worked from coast to coast with governments, neighbourhood groups, school boards, developers and residents, collaborating to create better communities.
About the Role:
Evergreen Adventure Camp is an OCA accredited program that serves approximately 160 campers per week. The Assistant Camp Director will assist and support the Program Manager with the coordination and supervision of March Break Camp, Evergreen Adventure Camp and Bike Ventures Camp. The Assistant Camp Director will be responsible for camp administration, direct supervision of after-camp programs and recruitment and support of staff and volunteers.
The Assistant Camp Director will spearhead specialty program development with the staff team, playing a key role in on-the-ground program delivery, utilizing their skills to help our programs come alive. The Assistant Camp Director thrives in a dynamic environment and provides consistent, creative support to customers, the entire program team and the Program Manager. They are a mature team-player and strong communicator who believes in the power and importance of outdoor play and nature connection in children’s lives.
- Assist in the planning, delivery and monitoring of all Evergreen Adventure camp programs
- Manage camp administration, including camper and volunteer documents in a sensitive and secure manner
- Assist with training and supervision of camp staff
- Manage the staff and program execution of the inclusion program
- Manage the execution and development of the extended care program and monitor the lunch program
- Recruit, screen and support volunteers
- Create and facilitate weekly debrief and skill building sessions with volunteers
- Provide mentorship, feedback and guidance to new staff and volunteers
- Acts as a positive role model and leader
- Document any behavioural incidents, injuries or accidents, and report to Director/Manager in a timely way;
- Communicate effectively with parents/guardians
- Participate in end of day reflections and provide feedback and support to the rest of the camp team
- Model Evergreen’s core values
- Coordinate with external partners, as required
- Assume responsibilities of Camp Counsellors and Camp Director, as required
- Support additional Children’s Programs such as year-round clubs, as required
You excel in the following areas:
- Attention to detail. Recognize that details matter. Work systematically to ensure important details do not slip through the cracks.
- Customer-focus. Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of others in a way that exceeds their expectations.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Manage ambiguity well. Adapt to changing priorities and conditions in an agile way, responding quickly and effectively. React to change with curiosity and excitement.
- Communication. Communicate in a confident, thorough and timely manner, using appropriate communication techniques and tools for the audience.
- Leadership: Mobilize and build strong teams. Lead by example. Inspire others to achieve.
You have the following qualifications:
- 2-3 years of previous work experience in a leadership role in camp or childcare setting
- University or college degree/diploma (or equivalent professional experience)
- Experience using CampBrain software, an asset
- Knowledge of OCA standards, an asset
- Excellent planning, interpersonal, organization and supervisory skills
- Demonstrated commitment to customer service
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR ‘C’, or willingness to obtain
- Vulnerable Sector Police Record Check or willingness to obtain
- Experience with Outdoor Experiential Education, Stewardship and Ecological Restoration practices, an asset
- Background in Ecology, Environmental Studies or related disciplines
- Demonstrated commitment to supporting the growth of a culture of nature connection in children and young people
- OCT certified teachers, teacher candidates strongly encouraged to apply
- Supervised by Program Manager
- Position is based out of Evergreen’s head office at Evergreen Brick Works Campus in Toronto
- Working outdoors in inclement weather
- Standing for extended periods of time
- Able to lift weight in excess of 20 pounds
- Contract, Part-time (8-16 hours per week) March-June, 2021, transitioning to Full-time June to September, 2021
- One-week full time March Break (March 15-19, 2021)
- Hourly wage $20-$22, depending on experience
Application Close Date: March 3, 2021