Administrative Assistant - Scientists in School
Scientists in School is a leading science education charity dedicated to getting kids aged 3 to 12 excited about science, technology, engineering, mathematics (STEM) and the environment through hands-on, discovery-based classroom and community workshops. In our workshops, children become scientists, see how science connects to their world and discover the many career paths in STEM. Since 1989, nine million children and youth in more than 300 communities across Ontario and southern Alberta have discovered STEM with Scientists in School. Today, they’re scientists in school. Tomorrow, they’re our leaders and innovators.
We are seeking an efficient customer service oriented Administrative Assistant to join our team at our Pickering office. This position requires previous administrative experience, professional judgment and initiative. The Administrative Assistant will provide a range of administrative services for the Regional Manager of East Central Ontario, while supporting the East Central Ontario team. The Administrative Assistant will also provide some assistance to the Regional Managers for South Central Ontario and Alberta regions.
This is a busy, fast-paced environment that requires you to juggle multiple priorities.
- Provides administrative support to the Regional Manager, including managing the flow of information, file maintenance and meeting arrangements
- Provides excellent customer service support to workshop presenters, staff, schools and other partners which includes providing back-up and assistance with main reception and phone calls
- Demonstrates a sound knowledge of operational procedures and workshop topics (gained through visiting classroom and community workshops)
- Provide administrative support to Regional Managers of South Central Ontario and Alberta including entering workshop requests and emailing teacher survey responses
- Contacts schools or community organizations when additional information is needed for booking, including requests for PO numbers for ECO schools
- Supports the East Central Ontario team in their day-to-day activities, including managing student and teacher materials and school mailings
- Assists with arrangements for trainings, presenter meetings and special events including purchasing, arrangement and clean-up of refreshments
- Initiates contact with new presenters regarding legislative training and documentation
- Purchases supplies and refreshments for office, meetings and special events
- Ongoing management of WHMIS, Vulnerable Sector Screening and other organizational records
- Inputs data, generates reports and monitors data integrity using Microsoft Great Plains and Dynamics (CRM)
- Assists with coordinating/scheduling complimentary and community workshops
- Works proactively to maintain a safe work environment
- Contributes to special projects and initiatives as needed
- Three years of administrative experience combined with a college diploma or university degree
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Demonstrated ability to communicate in a friendly and professional manner to establish and maintain effective working relationships with individuals within and outside of the organization
- Advanced computer skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office applications including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher and Outlook; experience with databases preferred
- Excellent organizational, planning and time management skills with attention to detail and deadlines
- Demonstrated capacity to think critically, problem solve and prioritize
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including the ability to create professional email correspondence and short reports
- Proven ability to establish excellent relationship with senior management and other staff and operate in a collaborative, team-oriented approach
- Ability to handle confidential materials in a sensible and professional way
- Demonstrated capacity to work independently and solve problems, yet at the same time work collaboratively with others in a team situation
- Knowledge of Scientists in School’s programs an asset
- Use of own vehicle for occasional errands
- Once selected, the successful candidate will be required to apply and obtain a satisfactory Police Records Check for the vulnerable sector
To Apply: Qualified applicants are invited to submit a cover letter and résumé as one document to email@example.com. Please include job title in subject line of your email.
We thank all candidates for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Scientists in School welcomes diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. Individuals with a disability requiring accommodation during the application and/or the interview process should advise us so arrangements can be made.
To learn more about the organization, please visit our website at www.scientistsinschool.ca.