Administrative Assistant - OrKidstra - Sistema Ottawa
OrKidstra is a registered charity that supports a social development program through music for children from under-served communities in Ottawa. Now in its 14th season, OrKidstra serves over 800 children and youth who come from over 62 cultural and linguistic backgrounds. OrKidstra’s mission is to empower kids and build community through the universal language of music. OrKidstra carries out this mission by providing children from low-income families with free group and individual music lessons and the chance to learn important life skills such as respect, compassion, teamwork and responsibility through playing and singing together. Learn more at orkidstra.ca.
This role will offer you the opportunity to change children’s lives through music! This career-building position is an excellent opportunity to grow your skills in a range of areas related to not-for-profit management in a dynamic, collaborative, fast-paced environment.
Job description at-a-glance
OrKidstra is seeking a full-time Administrative Assistant to help OrKidstra grow its capacity in administrative support and fund development. Reporting to the Finance & Administration Officer, with strong collaboration with the Development & Communications Officer, and working cooperatively as part of the OrKidstra team, the new role of the Administrative Assistant will support the senior management, Board/Committees and employees through a variety of tasks related to organization, fundraising, administration and communications. This career-building role requires excellent time management, communication as well as organizational skills, self-sufficiency, teamwork, financial proficiency, relationship building and creative problem-solving abilities.
Please note: excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and proficiency in French are required for this position. Please include this information in your application.
Reporting to the Finance & Administration Officer, the Administrative Assistant will help create success for the organization by:
- Responding to general inquiries or redirects to appropriate staff person including timely follow up;
- Assisting Board/Committees on meeting planning and set up, agenda preparation, minute taking and document management (editing, formatting etc.), calendar management;
- Preparing letters, reports, memoranda, minutes, forms and schedules as requested;
- Performing administrative duties including document & electronic filing, document preparation, data entry and management, including Dropbox;
- Assisting with financial documents, budgets, spreadsheets, financial reports;
- Organizing pick up of mail including processing deliveries;
- Monitoring office supplies and managing orders;
- Assisting the Finance & Administration Officer as required.
- Prospect research, including available grants, foundations, corporate opportunities, philanthropists etc;
- Drafting and editing documents such as grants and proposals;
- Managing grant application calendar and reporting deadlines;
- Assisting with individual donor relations, stewardship, cultivation, acquisition and retention;
- Assisting with budget development associated with grants, and other campaigns as requested;
- Assisting with event invitations and guest lists, event administration and other event duties as required;
- Monitoring and updating the OrKidstra website (WordPress);
- Assisting the Development & Communications Officer as required.
Required Education, Experience & Skills
- Completion of or progress towards completion of a university degree/college diploma in an applicable field (e.g. business administration, fundraising etc.) required;
- One to three years’ experience in a similar role required (experience may include occasional or summer employment)
- Experience in the charitable/not-for-profit sector a strong asset;
- Exceptional attention to detail, time management, organizational skills required;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and proficiency in French required
- other languages an asset
- Candidates may be asked to provide proof of second language proficiency;
- Proficiency with current software/technology, such as word processing, spreadsheet, databases, online calendars, email, online platforms (e.g. Zoom and Dropbox), and internet research required;
- Able to work independently, as well as effectively in a team setting required;
- Adaptable, flexible and able to deal with a wide range of needs in a positive manner required;
- Knowledge of administrative practices and procedures (e.g. budgeting) a strong asset;
- Experience with bookkeeping, fundraising and/or communications a strong asset;
- Experience working with people from diverse racial, ethnic, and socio-economic backgrounds an asset;
- A musical or performing arts background an asset;
- Work is normally carried out at the head office at 211 Bronson Ave., Ottawa, Monday to Friday during normal business hours; travel to additional Ottawa-based offsite locations may be required at certain times (e.g. events). Successful candidates will have the option of working remotely at this time;
- Flexibility is required for some evening/weekend program meetings and events;
- The working language is English, but fluency in French is required; capability to communicate in Arabic, Mandarin/Cantonese and knowledge of other languages an asset;
- This role is an opportunity to exercise your passion and align your values and purpose with an organization which successfully empowers kids and builds community through the universal language of music. You believe in creating environments where people can belong and thrive;
- OrKidstra is an equal opportunities employer committed to the principles of diversity and inclusion.
Special statement on COVID-19:
- “The health and safety of our students, families, teachers, staff, volunteers, supporters and organization continues to be our priority during the developing situation surrounding the COVID-19/novel coronavirus pandemic. In response to this situation, OrKidstra @ Home online programming will continue this fall: all classes will be virtual in the fall 2020 semester. This decision has been made based on recommendations from the Government of Ontario, OrKidstra’s Board of Directors and consultations with the entire OrKidstra family. The fall programming semester will most likely start in early October so that students have time to adjust to their new school routines before adding OrKidstra @ Home online programming to their schedules. We will continue to provide regular updates about our plans moving forward throughout the fall semester, using the most up to date and reliable information available. We plan to start meeting in person as soon as we are confident it is safe to do so, we have the necessary permissions in place and we have appropriate measures established to keep everybody safe and healthy.” Read more: https://orkidstra.ca/news/orkidstra-on-coronavirus-covid-19/
- The office continues to remain closed to the public as all after-school programming will be virtual in 2020. However if the successful candidate is required to interact with the public, appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE), such as face masks or gloves etc. will be provided and all recommended guidelines from the Ottawa Public Health, such as physical distancing and cleaning, will be followed.
- The OrKidstra main office is located at 211 Bronson Avenue, Ottawa. However, OrKidstra staff continue to work from home at this time: the successful candidate will also have the opportunity to work from home (sufficient connectivity to work remotely required). This position is considered temporarily remote.
This position requires a police clearance for the vulnerable sector and reference checks; a valid provincial driver’s license and regular access to a vehicle are an asset. A compensation package including benefits will be offered to the successful candidate.
In confidence, please send a résumé and one-page cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org outlining how your skills, passions and experience make you the ideal candidate. Please include your salary expectations in the range of $37,000 to $41,000 per year, commensurate with experience. The deadline for this posting is Wednesday, September 16, 2020. Please mention that you saw this position on Charity Village.
We thank all applicants in advance for submitting their applications. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue through the selection process will be contacted – no phone calls, please.