Administrative and Financial Officer - The Shift
Position: Administrative and Financial Officer
Reporting to: Deputy Director, The Shift
Housing is a human right, not a privilege for the few or a financial instrument for multiplying investor profits. The Shift is a global initiative dedicated to securing the right to housing that advocates for governments to implement and uphold human rights commitments and confront the financialization of housing. Launched in 2020 by human rights advocates Julieta Perucca and Leilani Farha, the former UN Special Rapporteur on the Right to Housing, with founding support from the UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights and United Cities and Local Government, The Shift works collaboratively with stakeholders from around the world, including governments, private actors, scholars, and organizers, to help end homelessness, unaffordability, and evictions globally.
If you are looking for an exciting opportunity to work at the cutting edge of international human rights, if you are passionate about social justice, if you want to work to help make cities just, affordable and vibrant, we invite you to apply to our position as Administrative and Financial Officer.
The Shift is looking for a full-time Administrative and Financial Officer who will be responsible for all administrative and financial activities of the organization. The Officer will work closely with the Global Director to ensure the smooth functioning of the organization, as well as the Deputy Director who oversees the finances. In this crucial time of rebuilding after the pandemic, The Shift hopes to have an Administrative and Financial Officer that can support the organization in centralizing housing as a human right in all social and political agendas.
This is a contract position from February 2021 - December 2021 with the possibility of renewal.
- Under the supervision of the Deputy Director, the Officer oversees and keeps up to date the finances of The Shift.
- Keeps track of the annual budget for The Shift and supports in creating long-term budget estimations.
- Carries out banking functions for The Shift, such as wire transfers, e-transfers, deposits, reconciling bank statements, and monitoring bank accounts and bank charges.
- Carries out and organizes all invoicing for the Global Director, and oversees invoices for the rest of the team.
- Manages all proposal and reporting obligations, report writing, and procedures of current funders. Keeps track of deliverables in ongoing projects.
Responsible for all administrative functions of the Global Director’s duties and activities, including managing her schedule, confirming appointments, and arranging travel plans and accommodations.
- Assists with administrative functions for the rest of the team, including managing schedules, confirming appointments and arranging travel plans and accommodations.
- Schedules, coordinates, and takes minutes for weekly team briefings and other important meetings as necessary.
- Maintenance and upkeep of website (www.maketheshift.org) and domain, where necessary.
- Updates project workflow management software
- Updates contact management database
- Writes and edits correspondence materials
- Assists in planning events and panels, both in Canada and internationally
Skills & Qualification:
- French and Spanish are desired
- Minimum 2 years related experience in an administrative/financial role.
- Advanced College Diploma (3 years) or equivalent work experience
- Demonstrated experience in managing finances and grant proposals
- Knowledge of Quickbooks.
- Demonstrated experience with budget creation and forecasting.
- Demonstrated experience in supporting senior staff, including managing calendars, scheduling meetings, coordinating travel arrangements, and taking minutes.
- Advanced Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, and Zoom.
- Demonstrated experience maintaining databases
- Advanced organizational skills and time management skills
- Advanced interpersonal communication skills, both written and oral.
- Advanced ability to intuit need of Global Director and team.
- Ability to work efficiently with minimal oversight, demonstrating good judgment and decision-making.
- High attention to detail and accuracy
- Demonstrated passion for the objectives of The Shift, and working in a creative and collaborative environment to pursue the realization of human rights.
- Willingness to go above and beyond, showing initiative and determination.
- Able to work remotely
- Have access to personal computer
- High-speed internet connection
If you are interested in the position, please send your CV and cover letter that does not exceed 600 words to email@example.com. Please include the subject Application for Administrative and Financial Officer.