Administrative and Financial Officer - The Shift
Position: Administrative and Financial Officer
The Shift is the global movement to secure the right to housing, recognizing that housing is the most significant social issue facing cities around the world. The Shift functions as a critical platform for uniting diverse actors across the globe who share a common goal: to resist the financialization of housing and implement the human right to housing. This means working to ensure that housing is about people and home, rather than profit generation.
Led by Leilani Farha the former United Nations Special Rapporteur on the right to housing, The Shift is made up of a dynamic team that is passionate about human rights and social justice.
If you are looking for an exciting opportunity to work at the cutting edge of international human rights, we invite you to apply to our position as Administrative and Financial Officer.
We are looking for a motivated, intuitive, collaborative, flexible individual willing to work in a fast-paced virtual environment to take over the following responsibilities:
- Under the supervision of the Deputy Director, oversees and keeps up to date the finances of The Shift.
- Carries out banking functions for The Shift, such as wire transfers, e-transfers, deposits, reconciling bank statements, and monitoring bank accounts and bank charges.
- Carries out and organizes all invoicing for the Global Director, and oversees invoices for the rest of the team.
- Manages all proposal and reporting obligations, report writing, and procedures of current funders. Keeps track of deliverables in ongoing projects.
- Responsible for all administrative functions of the Global Director’s duties and activities, including managing her schedule, confirming appointments, and arranging travel plans and accommodations.
- Assists with administrative functions for the rest of the team, including managing schedules, confirming appointments and arranging travel plans and accommodations.
- Schedules, coordinates, and takes minutes for weekly team briefings and other important meetings as necessary.
- Maintenance and upkeep of website (www.maketheshift.org) and domain, where necessary.
- Updates project workflow management software
- Updates contact management database
- Writes and edits correspondence materials
- Assists in planning events and panels, both in Canada and internationally
Skills & Qualification:
- French and Spanish are desired
- Minimum 2 years related experience in an administrative/financial role.
- Advanced College Diploma (3 years) or equivalent work experience
- Demonstrated experience in managing finances and grant proposals
- Demonstrated experience in supporting senior staff, including managing calendars, scheduling meetings, coordinating travel arrangements, and taking minutes
- Advanced Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Zoom
- Demonstrated experience maintaining databases
- Advanced organizational skills and time management skills
- Advanced interpersonal communication skills, both written and oral
- Advanced ability to intuit need of Global Director and team
- Ability to work efficiently with minimal oversight, demonstrating good judgment and decision-making
- High attention to detail and accuracy
- Demonstrated passion for the objectives of The Shift, and working in a creative and collaborative environment to pursue the realization of human rights.
- Willingness to go above and beyond, showing initiative and determination.
- Able to work remotely
- Have access to personal computer
- High-speed internet connection
All applicants should send their application to firstname.lastname@example.org with Administrative and Financial Officer in the subject line.